Menu
Neilpatto
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

On Demand Problems

We have been trying to use our on demand and catch up services for several weeks now without any luck. The virgin intro/adverts play and then the screen freezes. 

I have checked all connections, rebooted the box and done everything suggested. After a bit of advice. 

We are using a Toshiba LCD TV - model 43T6863DB. As I’ve seen on previous posts there are certain HDMI ports that need to be used for different TVs. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: On Demand Problems

You've not said whether you've got a TiVo or a V6, I'm assuming a V6.

A quick way of testing whether your issues are HDCP2.2 related, are to drop your video output to 1080 (using Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Video output). If this resolves the problem, it's quite likely you have HDCP issues.

I can't get the Toshiba website to let me download a PDF copy of the manual at the moment, further posts may follow 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Neilpatto
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. That has solved the issue we were having. What does that mean going forward?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Found an online PDF copy of your TV manual, and trawled a few spec-sheets, I've a nasty feeling you're snookered.

By means of explanation - it's a recent requirement, when watching OnDemand in 2160p (4K UHD) from a V6, that all your connected-equipment is compliant with HDCP2.2 (High-Definition Copy Protection) - there's some background reading here & Virgin's website has some further advice here 

If some of your equipment is not compliant with HDCP2.2, then the chain is broken and this blank-screen behaviour is one of the symptoms (along with Error 603 or 604). There is no HDCP requirement when watching in 1080, and your TV will upscale to 2160 instead.

Most current 4K TVs support HDCP2.2 on all HDMI ports, some older ones only support it in one port. I can't see any reference to HDCP anywhere in the Toshiba manual, or any spec sheet - which strongly indicates the TV doesn't support HDCP2.2

If that is the case, you will be unable to watch OnDemand programmes in 4K UHD/2160 using this TV. Linear broadcast channels should be ok (for now).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos