Menu
Vestalei
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No STB HDMI in the TV

Hello,

I am trying to connect my TV to Virgin Media TV box, however, it says in the guide that I have to connect the HDMI cable to the STB port which my TV does't have. I have a Philips 50PUS7505 smart tv that only has 3x ARC HDMI ports. 

I tried to put the cable in all of them, but it doesn't work. Any ideas how I can make it work? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: No STB HDMI in the TV

Hi Vestalei,

Looking at the manual all 3 HDMI ports are labelled HDMI ARC, and all should be working.

Have you checked the source using your TV remote control is switched to the correct HDMI port? Button 3 on the TV remote

Clipboard01.jpg

Have you got any other equipment that uses a HDMI cable that you can put in to test the TV's HDMI slots are working?

If the other equipment works then try the HDMI cable from the equipment that works with the VM set top box.

Clipboard01.jpgClipboard02.jpg

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
Vestalei
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello newapollo.  Thank you so much for such a quick resp...

Hello newapollo. 

Thank you so much for such a quick response. 
I actually think that I may have bought a wrong hdmi cable. 

The one that was provided by virgin is slightly too short, so I bought a longer one. I have just tried to connect it to my work laptop and it works fine. So I am assuming that the V6 box doesn't support random hdmi cables 😖

Do you know if I can buy a  longer cable that is supported by the tv box?

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hello newapollo. Thank you so much for such a quick resp...

Hi again Vestalei,

Providing the HDMI cable isn't longer than around 15 feet it should work ok.

It's possible that the HDMI port on the V6 box is broken. Or that the TV HDMI ports are broken.

Do you have any other HDMI cables in the house that you can try, to test the TV and TIVO ports, or borrow one from a neighbour?

Do you see any error message onscreen when you try and use the TIVO?

Have you tried rebootting the TIVO since you plugged the HDMI cable in?

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
Vestalei
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The TV HDMI ports work - I can connect them to the laptop...

The TV HDMI ports work - I can connect them to the laptop with the new hdmi cable.

The cable that I bought is longer than 15 feet though. I may try to buy a shorter one and try it. Thank you very much for your help 🙂 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: The TV HDMI ports work - I can connect them to the laptop...

Hi again Vestalei,

Have you tried connected the TV to the VM box with both the shorter and longer cables? 

Also reboot the VM box each time you try a new cable or different HDMI port.

You could also try testing the VM box with a different TV

Dave

0 Kudos
Vestalei
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's actually a good point haha. I should have tried it...

That's actually a good point haha. I should have tried it with the short one first! 

I have tried it now and it works fine, so the long one must be either too long or not supported by Virgin media. I ordered a shorter one that is coming today. It says in the product description that it's suitable for Virgin TV boxes. 

Thanks a million for your help again 🙂

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: That's actually a good point haha. I should have tried it...

Hello

The issue is not a supported issue, it is too do with the length as if you are doing 4K maximum is around the 10 feet or 3m mark. Have a look at https://www.bluecinetech.co.uk/hdmi-max-length/ as it explains it better than I can.

Regards Mike

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Vestalei
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Mike,

Thanks for you message.

In the description of the long cable it specificly said that it works with the 4k TVs and it works if I connect the computer.

Nevertheless, I received a 5m cable this morning and it worked like magic. 

Thank you both for you help! 🙂 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Vestalei,

Thanks for the update.

It's good to hear it's all working now.

Stay safe and take care.

Dave

0 Kudos