Menu
bensjamin
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No Images in Menu's

I can see someone had a similar issue but it doesnt go on to say if it was fixed or it just started working again. My v6 will Sometimes  download the movie images say in Sky Disney but the rest remain a generic image which makes no sense. I have had problems with the Wifi so invested in a mesh nighthawk router system. So the virgin hub is in modem mode and hard wired into a splitter which is then wired into the PS4/ V6/ TV   in the other room where i have another V6 i have the same setup but using a satellite Nighthawk. So again a splitter which goes into the v6/tv/nintendo  I have on demand no problem in either room and connection to the internet is fine I  have over 100mb download on wifi in the back room and nearly 200mb in the main room, the package is the 600mb and im getting 630mb at the nighthawk router,   everything internet based works great but i just dont get the images downloading ive changed the settings in video output to show all formats. 

Ive turned off and tried that, ive left them on overnight to see if it was downloading everything but still the same. My son is Autistic and cant read so everything is image based Sky was great pictures on everything virgin just seems like its SO SLOW to do anything.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Images in Menu's

There's two possibilities here, and your broadband speed is most unlikely to be the issue.

Programme images (if you mean the picture on the RHS of the "my shows" view) can sometimes be generic initially, as long as they backfill within a day or so - that's the way it's always been.

If you're missing 100% of, say, channel logos, that can often be a blocked port issue. You can easily prove it by lopoping your own router out of the equation, connecting your V6 directly to the SH, and watch the offending graphics come in. In this instance you'll need to identify what port is being blocked by your router, and unblock it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

bensjamin
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've taken out the splitters now to see if that will help.  Stupidly it seems to have started downloading the images in the backroom which is connected via the satellite. But in the main room where its connected straight into the router it still doesnt have the images downloading. 

Its so slow to download it cant even be that much data to transfer in. 

Do you think leaving the boxes on rather than them going into eco mode will help downloading the images?

Never had a system where you have to wait all day for images to download so you know what your watching.  

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@bensjamin wrote:

But in the main room where its connected straight into the router it still doesnt have the images downloading. 

The Virgin router (Superhub) or your own router? You need to connect the V6 directly to the Superhub to prove/disprove blocked ports.

@bensjamin wrote:

Its so slow to download it cant even be that much data to transfer in. 

Do you think leaving the boxes on rather than them going into eco mode will help downloading the images?

Never had a system where you have to wait all day for images to download so you know what your watching.  

I really don't think your connection speed has anything to do with this. You need to disprove blocked ports, and the best way to do this is to connect your V6 directly to your Superhub and put said SH in router mode. If your logos are failing then, then fair cop it's something else. Sorry to say that I can't work out from your post if you've done this or not.

I'm not saying that the V6 only works when connected directly to the SH, far from it - I use my SH in modem mode and have my own router with no V6 issues, plenty of others do the same. But in instances like this, it's an excellent troubleshooter.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
bensjamin
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So now ive taken the virgin hub out of modem mode thinking my router wont work once i did that . But the strange thing is it works fine better infact. So in the main room i have hard wired from the Hub my router ( for wireless connections ) and the V6 box which has instantly worked in downloading all the images. I dont think i can change the second box without running an ethernet cable from the super hub with the coaxial cable to the other v6 box. 

I have that second box hard wired into the satellite box but its still very slow for downloading those images even thought netflix is instant so it must be something to do with running through a router that isnt virgins?  

I will see if i can log into the nighthawk for any blocked ports but there is only 1 Ethernet outlet on each device. 

Not sure why you put the virign hub in modem mode if it makes no differnece? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@bensjamin wrote:

So now ive taken the virgin hub out of modem mode thinking my router wont work once i did that . But the strange thing is it works fine better infact. So in the main room i have hard wired from the Hub my router ( for wireless connections ) and the V6 box which has instantly worked in downloading all the images.

So you've got a blocked port on your router somewhere then.

The SH has 4 Ethernet ports, all of which are active when it's in router mode. When you put the SH in modem mode - which I happen to agree is an excellent choice - ports 2-4 are disabled (along with the WiFi) and only Port 1 is left active. That allows a connection to your own router, which will almost certainly have better performance than the SH does.

bensjamin
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thats how i had it set up originally because thats what Mr Virgin man said. But i have now turned that back into Router mode so its back as a normal wifi router. BUT i still have my own nighthawk running off port 1 and that is working 643mb just tested at the unit and 400mb over wifi ( stood next to it).  In port 2 of the virgin super hub i have now plugged in the V6 box and that works so both are working, in theory i could connect the PS4 to the superhub as well and that fixes that room completely. 

The back room now is only connected via the Coaxial cable and hard wired into the Nighthawk Satellite router.  But this still seems very slow so i have disconnected the ethernet cable and im trying to figure out how it is connecting ? as it shows it as connected but its not plugged in, i reset it and everything. 

I was thinking it could connect to the virgin superhub which might fix the issue if it will reach through 3 brick walls 

0 Kudos
bensjamin
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So i can connect to the superhub via wifi and that instantly downloads the images, but the signal is a bit weak and as such i can play films but cant skip through them.  So do you think this is a port issue through the nighthawk router ?  It allows me to play films no problem no buffer and skip whereever but it wont download the images. Seems strange that part. 

0 Kudos