Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

New TV Boxes

On a recent call with VM where they offered us a new deal (that hasn't yet arrived for the 2nd time) - we also told them our box was playing up. 

As well as the irritating "To Be Announced" issue - we are also finding if we rewind or pause the box just freezes or moves itself on - and playbacks (from record) are just a nightmare - unwatchable.  

The new box they've sent us is a V6 - no-one mentioned it needed an ethernet cable (wireless OK subject to signal) - an ethernet cable is simply not practical - wireless can be too erratic - the highest and lowest speeds on my 500Mb connection are a dreamworld atm.  

Can we no longer get cabled boxes like we've already got? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: New TV Boxes

No, the current TV box, the V6, requires both a co-ax and router connection.

The router connection can be WiFi. Mine works perfectly on 5GHz.

If WiFi or a direct Ethernet cable connection to the router is not possible, powerline adapters can be used to effect the Ethernet connection to the router.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

"If WiFi or a direct Ethernet cable connection to the router is not possible, powerline adapters can be used to effect the Ethernet connection to the router."

OK - the Powerline adaptors resolve the issue of dangerous cables - it doesn't however solve the problem of the fact I don't want my internet and TV connected - we don't watch much TV - but last thing I want is my TV being reliant on the internet - particularly the way both have been behaving lately independent of each other - god help us if we end up with double the issues 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My experience is that the V6 performs much better than the TiVo with none of the sluggish streaming of apps such as BBC iPlayer. It also has features that you'll never get on the TiVo such as 4K, HDR and Prime Video. It's only a matter of time until all of VM's TV boxes will be reliant on a broadband connection to work.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My experience is that the V6 performs much better than the TiVo with none of the sluggish streaming of apps such as BBC iPlayer. It also has features that you'll never get on the TiVo such as 4K, HDR and Prime Video. It's only a matter of time until all of VM's TV boxes will be reliant on a broadband connection to work.

Maybe it's time to rethink the contract they've not sent me then - I've got zero interest in any of the above services - short of getting an aerial installed to get freeview - it looks like we're soon going to be stuck with needing the internet to watch TV anywhere 😞 rather depressing 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Most people can get Sky...

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It wouldn't surprise me if the new Sky boxes use internet - the old boxes had an external link - although I think we used it once - just not big TV watchers other than at times like now when I'm awake and oh - my internet is down - running at a mouthwatering 47Mb down (37 up) - 500Mb connection - it went down minutes after my last post and is still down - now using a tethering point - happy days 😞
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Given your sentiment, move to Freeview for TV.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

"Given your sentiment, move to Freeview for TV."

Sentiment for what?  not wanting to use the internet for my TV - so we have to sacrifice the Sports channels because of it? 

No internet = no TV  - and the internet has been a tad ropey lately 

Freeview isn't an option for us  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

...then you will have to accept that more and more TV will be delivered over the internet.

0 Kudos