Menu
DaveW96
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

New First Virgin TV box

I have been offered a new "First Virgin Box" but unless I am missing something, it seems the TV connection must be 3 metres from the router. Mine isn't and I wonder why this is a requirement. I assume that there is no wifi link on the proposed new box so it must be a wired link. Can anyone confirm this and highlight the benefits.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: New First Virgin TV box

Both the modem/router & the TV box have to be connected to the coaxial cable. Self install wiring provided is only 3 metres, any more than this requires a manned install so that the necessary cabling can be made up on site & signal adjustments made. It is recommended that the TV box is connected by Ethernet for optimum performance. As VM only provides a 3 metre Ethernet you would need to buy your own for longer runs or use WiFi.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DaveW96
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If there is there a serious downside to wifi and the new box, it sounds like I won't be able to go with it. I have 2 coax cables, currently my TV coax connection is on one floor at one end of my house and the modem/router coax connection is on another floor at the other end of the house. I don't expect the engineer would like to take up carpets and drill through floors walls and ceilings.

If wifi is OK why do Virgin see the need to send an engineer?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The TiVo is the last TV box which requires no connection to the hub to work properly. All subsequent boxes, namely the V6 and the new 360 and mini, require the network connection.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not sure re the engineer visit unless the second point is actually dead/disconnected?

If they are offering you a Tivo box, as Tony says,  it needs no connection to the Hub it gets its internet via the coax connection and an inbuilt modem. If its a V6 it does need connecting to the Hub - what box are they offering?

Then you can connect a "distant" V6 like this.....

1) Connect the V6's (permanently) to the Hub by Cat6 cable. This IS the best solution by far and not really that difficult using interior or exterior Cat5e or Cat6 cable – long runs of this are cheap and the “flat cable is easily concealed. VM wont do this over that distance you will have to sort it yourself.

2) Connect it via wifi - this may work first time and be stable - depends on you house construction, distance, interference, etc. If its a poor connection, then simply Improve your wifi signal at the location of the V6. There are lots of suggestions on this forum of how to do that search around and see if any work for you.

3) Finally, use a pair of good quality Powerline adapters (if your house circuitry is suitable) with short Cat6 cables this works well – for example my lad has gaming PC and consoles connected this way with no issues

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
DaveW96
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice so far, I currently have a V6 box using WiFi, I know from other devices I can only pick up 2.4 not 5ghz in the room with the TV. If that won't be sufficient for the new box I won't bother.

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The WiFi requirements of the V6 and the new Horizon box are exactly the same.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@DaveW96 wrote:

Thanks for the advice so far, I currently have a V6 box using WiFi, I know from other devices I can only pick up 2.4 not 5ghz in the room with the TV. If that won't be sufficient for the new box I won't bother.

Sounds like you should consider getting your own wireless equipment that can deliver good and stable 2.4 & 5 GHz wifi across all of your property.  I have that as do lots of others on here.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey Dave

If you already have a V6 box in place you can safely ignore that question, it is an error if you are being shown it.  

As mentioned above, the new box is exactly the same as the V6 in terms of it's connectivity capabilities, so please feel free to go through with the upgrade!

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaveW96

Thanks for your post regarding the new box

Can you please let me know if you need any help once this has been installed 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos