Menu
BabsM
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Netflix

I have a 6 year old box. Don't think it's Tivo. My TV guide says I can get Netflix but when we start watching something it freezes and goes off after a few minutes. Why can't we get the whole show? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix

Check which box you have, here 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BabsM
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It looks like a Tivo box in the pic. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OnDemand & Streaming services on the TiVo (NOT the V6) have two issues:

1: The box is quite old and runs old hardware, it can struggle with the streaming apps (iPlayer, Netflix, YouTube) especially and this is one (of a few) reason why the additional apps are only available on the V6. There isn't any way of getting around this.

2: All OnDemand & streaming apps rely on an internet connection, the TiVo's is in-built (separate from your home broadband) but this often fails without users realising. On the front-left of the box are a series of green lights, the second-from-left has a painted heart symbol next to it and is your "online" light. A static light is good, but a flashing heartbeat lights means the TiVo's internet connection has failed. Anything relying on the internet will fail when this happens.

Scenario 2 is a fault, and you should report it to Virgin Media on the usual number (150 from VM, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone). It may be an external network fault, but is often a box failure & replacement.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

MartinPW
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same problem with my TiVo box. Should it be upgraded to a V6 or a 360? Or just replaced? How do I go about getting it upgraded and what is the cost of this?
0 Kudos
BabsM
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Exactly my questions. None of the things on the website answers these questions and if you press upgrade it assumes you want to upgrade your channels package. The 150 on my phone also does not give you someone who can help. Infuriating! 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ordinarily "me too" posts muddy the waters and can cause threads to become awfully confusing, but in this case...

The V6 is a much better box than the TiVo but runs the same software platform - a swap from TiVo > V6 is genuinely an upgrade on so many levels. It's newer, quicker in operation, has 6 recording tuners rather than 3, has more of the streaming apps/services etc.

The biggie is that the V6 doesn't have its own internet connection but relies on a connection via your homehub - ideally Ethernet, but reliable WiFi can also work.

The V360 is an entirely different beast - it's a whole new software platform and in relative infancy. You could ask 10 people about the V360 and get 10 different opinions, but at the moment the only safe description is that it's "different". Some TiVo functionality is currently missing from the V360 platform, this will improve in time - but once you've moved to the V360 platform, you cannot change back. So by all means go for a swap if you're offered, but do so informed. At the moment a swap for existing customers is generally by invitation only.

If you wanted a TiVo > V6 swap, you've got 2 likely options..

1: Go for a swap as part of a package renegotiation. In other words, you're on an old bundle and move to a newer package in exchange for a new 18month contract and a box-swap.

2: By reporting your TiVo as faulty, and either being offered a V6 swap or "asking nicely" 😉

Option 2 is not guaranteed, but does sometimes happen.

BabsM
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is the V6 going to solve my Netflix problem? You Tube and bbci player are pretty rubbish too. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I don't have Netflix, but let's put it this way...

On my V6, from selecting an iPlayer programme in the guide, or asking the iPlayer to load... it's usually loaded the app and streaming the programme in under 10seconds.

YouTube is similar.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@BabsM wrote:

Is the V6 going to solve my Netflix problem? You Tube and bbci player are pretty rubbish too. 

@BabsM wrote:

Yes I have a V6 connected to my hub with an ethernet cable and get Netflix, YouTube, Prime video, and all streaming services perfectly.

0 Kudos