Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Netflix charge against my non tv account

Hi,

I am looking for help.

I have been charged this month for a netflix account that has been added to my broadband account,.  I previously held tv with Virgin, but this finished in July 2019 and the TV box was returned to virgin as requested.

Having spent an hour talking to virgin today they removed the charge, but couldn't guarantee this wouldn't occur next month.  I have not added the charge, and Virgin cannot or will not tell me who did or what netflix account it is linked to.

I can only assume this is a fraudulent attempt and that virgins checks are insufficient or that potential my box was re-distributed without being removed from my account.

I have checked my netflix account directly with netflix who have confirmed that i pay by DD.

As virgin will not put a block on any apps being added to my account or give me any account detail to discuss with Netflix it appears i have little choice but to leave virgin altogether?

Any thoughts appreciated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix charge against my non tv account

Hi lewisbeeby,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

I am sorry to hear of this confusion. Regarding adding Netflix to your Virgin Media bill, this can either be done via the set top box or your online My VM account. This can then be used just the same as if you were paying Netflix directly, ie on multiple devices. When you create an account with Netflix billing via Virgin Media, you'd be asked to create a username and password as with any Netflix account. Unfortunately these details are not something Virgin Media would have access too. 

For further information on how you can report this, please see this link here

In terms of your Virgin Media account, I am glad to hear the service has now been removed. I would advise going forward for you to change the My VM online account password to something unique that you've not used elsewhere before.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John.

However given I do not have a set top box as it was returned to Virgin in July and I cannot add this via my profile i do not understand how this can happy.

Whilst virgin have removed this months charge I spent an hour on the phone which incurred cost to me not to mention the cost of my time.  I have not been compensated for this.

In addition I felt it was a simple request to ask that a block from adding any applications to my account be applied.  This is available under most other services, mobile phone etc.  Virgin refused to do this and then had the audacity to say should this happen again next month they wouldn't reverse the charge.

I am appalled by the lack of assistance and acceptance that this is not my error.  I really wouldn't go to so much trouble for the sake of trying to gain 8.99!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In addition John, you link to netflix is completely useless.  I called netflix, but as Virgin are not giving me any information as to where the charge arose netflix cannot locate this.

Netflix have confirmed the one account I do have is paid by DD.  

Therefore as I have repeatedly said I am being charged for an account that is not mine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi lewisbeeby

Are you able to check your banking and cancel the Direct Debit. We can assure you that our team will have removed the account from our side 

Regarding the cost of the call and compensation for time, we would not be able to credit back any money 

The 0345 number is charged the same as calling a landline. 

Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Why would I cancel my DD? 

As I have said the account VM have charged for does not belong to me! I left Virgin TV in July and clearly my box has been compromised.

As for no compensation a landline call or not I still spent and hour on the phone to continually be accused of adding this service, yet I don't have the hardware to do so.  Compensation for VM's error and my loss of time would be appropriate.

How can Virgin justify taking my money and not being able to explain what netflix account this is attributable to? I am clearly not the only one looking at these forums.  A massive loophole appears to be in place and VM clearly do not complete sufficient security checks.

Can you tell me why I cannot have a block put in place ensuring no additional charges can be added to my account with prior consent?

I have also requested a full subject access request as it is clear VM do not take users data breaches seriously.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the feedback lewisbeeby

We do not have account specific information to hand regarding 3rd party Apps

There would be no way we could find a possible Netflix account log in details etc from our billing systems

Did you return the box as per our process when you removed the service?

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Did you ever manage to get this sorted? I'm in exactly the same position however with Covid-19 about I have no way of actually getting to speak to VM and the forum team are not doing anything about it and expect call Netflix and Netflix tell me to speak to VM.

I agree about VM not taking customers data seriously and is a direct breach of GDPR.

If you have any advice on what you did to solve this I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Did you get a response to your message

I’m in exactly the same position and unable to contact VM. 
I’ve spoken to Netflix and they’re unable to locate the Netflix account attached to my VM account. I only have broadband through virgin media and sent my set top box back to virgin last year  

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry @Glyn29640 but we do not hold any Netflix account information. 

In order to cancel a Netflix account, you do have to speak with Netflix directly. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos