Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Netflix added to account without consent

Hello,

My Dad received an email today saying that he has to pay for a Netflix account that is being charged to his Virgin Media account.

Now, he has no Netflix account of his own, and has never signed up for one through Virgin, so how can Virgin say this? The people he spoke to over the phone were useless too. 

He has access to my Netflix account, which I pay for through PayPal, and this has NEVER been synced to Virgin Media. 

How can I fix this for him so he doesn't get charged, and to make sure that this doesn't happen again?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix added to account without consent

Hi there @Matchoo93

Thanks so much for your post - sorry that your Dad is having some issues with this Netflix billing. 

We have recently made it available that you can now pay for your Netflix via your Virgin Media bill. There are 2 ways to subscribe to this way of billing: 

• Via the set top box
    • if you access the app you can either sign into your existing account or sign up for the 30 days free trial
    • You then get a confirmation email from both Netflix and Virgin Media to advise the charge will now appear on the Virgin Media bill
  • Via the MyVirginMedia account (this can only be done if you do not have a Netflix Subscription already)
    • Once you log into the online account, you pop along to MyAccount
    • Follow the online instructions via Netflix
    • You then get a confirmation email from both Netflix and Virgin Media to advise the charge will now appear on the Virgin Media bill

If, as you say he does not have an account of his own, please log into your Netflix account online and check your billing settings as he may have accidentally signed your account up for billing via his Virgin Media account. 

Is that is the case, you can amend your billing preferences via your Netflix account. Just pop along to Update Payment Method

If that's not the case and he has set up his own Netflix account, you will need to contact Netflix directly to cancel his subscription.

Hope that helps 🙂 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There's no other payment options on my account, and he has no Netflix account in his name or on the top box at all, so how can this be?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Matchoo93

The only way to subscribe to the billing of the Netflix through the Virgin Media bill is outlined in my previous message. 

How does he usually access your Netflix account?

When you go to the Netflix app via his set top box, are you able to see if an account has been created or logged in? (The email address you received the email to would be the one used to create the Netflix account)

Again, we would not be able to cancel any Netflix subscription I'm afraid - this can only be done by contacting Netflix directly. The same goes if you no longer wish to pay for the subscription via the Virgin Media - this can only be done via the Netflix account directly. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

He doesn't access it via the set top box. He has a smart TV that has a dedicated button for the Netflix app, and the only account on there is mine.

I've been through the virgin box to see if there's any apps installed, lo and behold, Netflix isn't on there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Matchoo93

Thanks for popping back  - may we ask what box your Father has? 

Netflix is available on our TiVo and V6 boxes. 

In order to cancel the Netflix account he has set up or to change the billing from his MyVirginMedia, you will need to contact Netflix directly. If your Father is unaware of his Netflix password for the account he has set up, you can reset it via their website using the email address you have: https://www.netflix.com/gb/LoginHelp 

Thank you 

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have seen a £5.99 charge on my Virgin bill. This is apparently for Netflix. 

My daughter tried to sign into her Netflix account and filled in an incorrect email address. She did not input her password and yet I'm being charged for the account through my Virgin bill. 

As the email address was incorrect and there was no password, I can't even go in and change anything. 

How is it possible to agree to this billing when all the details are incorrect?

0 Kudos