Re: Netflix Regularly Freezing

Forgive my error, it’s the same TiVo box we’ve had for at least 8 years 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Great stuff. So there's 2 things with the TiVo...

1: The internet is hard-wired in the box, but when it fails then everything that uses the internet will fail. That means Netflix, iPlayer, VOD, etc. On the front-left of the box there's a series of green lights, the second-from-left has a "Heart" symbol and is your online light. It should be solidly on. If it ever flashes, the box is not online and anything that uses the internet, will fail. Faulty box most likely.

2: The box, while being perfectly serviceable, is fundamentally quite old and if you have VM broadband, you'd do very well to consider a swap to the newer V6. There's many differences between the two, but for your purposes - it's just so much quicker at running various streaming apps (iPlayer, Amazon, Netflix, etc). The biggie is that it doesn't have an inbuilt internet connection, so relies on connecting via your VM homehub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 13 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for this, how would one obtain a new box? I assume via Virgin for a fee + installation cost? 🤔 Is the “biggie” you mentioned something to be wary of?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not at all - it's just something else that you need to bear in mind. The V6 is best connected by an Ethernet cable, but can also use WiFi... it can be fine, but a large proportion of issues with the V6 are caused by a poor WiFi connection to the homehub, that's all.

There's a few ways you could get a V6.. Firstly if your TiVo is diagnosed faulty, you can ask nicely and see what the answer is. Maybe yes, maybe no.,. but if you don't ask you certainly won't get. Others are more familiar with the pricing structure, so I'll plead the fifth there rather than give the wrong advice 🙂

If a no... then perhaps time to look at your whole VM package and compare with current ones. There maybe a more cost-effective, newer bundle that suits you better - and you can negotiate a box-swap and new bundle in exchange for a new 12/18month contract.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator

OK brilliant thank you 👌🏻

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi, PlasticDragon

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

I am sorry for the delayed reply and the buffering issues on the TiVo. 

I can see that since posting, you've spoke to the team and we've sent you a V6. I hope everything is sorted for you, though do let me know if you have any issues and I'll be happy to help.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos