Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Netflix Regularly Freezing

Hello there all, 

You will know all about this issue, I am sure...

Our Netflix constantly freezes during programmes, especially during the evening.

The first thing to say is that it always takes a while for the Netflix homescreen to load whatever the time of day; it takes a while to scroll through programme options or search using the key pad, and once a programme is chosen the red circle below to log doesn’t spin quickly, you just a frozen half circle which occasionally moves slightly.

Once we get onto watching a programme, sooner or later (30 seconds or 15 minutes in) the screen freezes we get messages error various messages: cables are unplugged, the programme isn’t available, there’s a connection issue and so on. All the usual ones.

The only other devices which are using our WiFi (that we can think of) are our Ring doorbell and our watches (a FitBit and a Garmin). Phones are turned off. I have worked from home for 8 years and I rarely have any connection issues, except when there is an issue in our postcode.

We’ve checked our connections, reset the router, turned off our phones, watches and the doorbell a hundred times. 

It’s been suggested that we get a new router, upgrade our package (we already pay a pretty penny) or move supplier. Can anyone tell us why this is happening and any quick fixes?

Thank you, PD

P.S. Last night (8pm) we watched an episode of The Crown and it froze 4 times. This morning I played it again (7am) and it played all the way through 🤷‍♂️

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix Regularly Freezing

Does it freeze over a wired connection rather than wireless?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, 

It’s when we’re watching it on our TV rather than on a phone or tablet. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Do you mean TiVo/V6 box?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes exactly right

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ok. You’ve posted in the broadband forum. I’ll ask for this to be moved to the tv forum 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Whoops, thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I can see it's already been asked, but I don't see an answer... are you using a TiVo or a V6? If you're not sure, check here 

If you're using a TiVo, the box is fundamentally quite old and does struggle with some of the streaming apps. However, the internet connection is inbuilt and a failed connection is very often the cause of these issues.

The V6 is a much newer box and handles streaming apps well, but it gets the internet connection from your homehub, and therefore this introduces more variables.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi, my router says 3.0 on the bottom, we’ve only had it 2 years - what’s the best course of action? 🤔

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

What router you have is immaterial. It's the TV box that's the issue. Please see my previous post.....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos