Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Neighbours VM cable in my VM outside box

Hi,

I’ve only just noticed that my neighbours VM cable is connected to my VM outside box.

I’ve now suddenly got a 3 way splitter, (downstairs, bedroom & neighbours box)

This wasn’t what the original install was, the cable runs over my brick wall and into my neighbours box. Why is this? Can someone please shed some light on it?

thanks

003788E9-39C7-48C6-B64D-1BCFB5B2C667.jpeg

5B46021F-BF9A-457F-A663-907B52FB4B20.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Neighbours VM cable in my VM outside box

Virgin do "piggyback" connections if there is an issue with pulling a cable to the adjoining property.

This arrangement should not affect your services (which just go to an even bigger splitter in the cabinet that everyone is connected too).

This type of installation should only be temporary until issues such as blocked ducts are cleared & a separate drop cable can be pulled to the property requiring it.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, should VM not have to inform the property owner that there doing this? 
I’m guessing that the neighbours don’t have access to my services that I pay for do they? 
I'm a nice bloke but I don’t fancy paying for there VM 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Services will be controlled by the equipment in the house not the physical cable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Pstead1 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, should VM not have to inform the property owner that there doing this? 
I’m guessing that the neighbours don’t have access to my services that I pay for do they? 
I'm a nice bloke but I don’t fancy paying for there VM 

As I mentioned previously, every house in the street is effectively on the same cable, a large diameter coax that splits into individual ones to the houses. Just as your WiFi can operate to several devices independently at the same time through a single radio connection, Virgin operates its equipment in the same way within the cable.

Installers should get permission to do this, but some of them, particularly the contractors, are a law unto themselves. The Forum Team here should reply in a while & will be able to see if remedial action is planned in for your neighbours to have their own drop line installed.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I shared a cable with my neighbour for years and it was absolutely fine as my signal levels were good. Bear in mind that all residential broadband is shared - regardless of ISP or technology - and in your case now the sharing is being done at your omni box instead of the distribution street cabinet. However, if there's one thing I do criticise is that the installers never seem to inform the affected homeowner let alone check that their signal levels remain good after the cable split.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pstead1,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

Our apologies if you were unaware of this. If you would like we can look to see if we can get an engineer out to amend this.

Please do let me know if you would like this. 

^Martin

0 Kudos