Menu
malc_s
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Need to arrange engineer visit

Hi, I'm been trying to get through to customer services to arrange an engineer visit for a week or so without success. We have about 20 TV channels with a weak or no signal (code W02). I've done all the checks. It looks like the cable which is exposed on the pavement has been damaged. It wasn't installed properly. How can I book an engineer? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need to arrange engineer visit

Hiya.

Unfortunately, the best way to call TV faults and report this, is to do as you're already doing - 150 (or 0345 4541111) and keep persisting.

VM staff do work their way through posts on here, but it can take a few days - you can usually call through in the meantime.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Malc_s and welcome to our community.

We can see there's currently an area fault in progress which may be affecting your services, I'll include the details on this below.

Reference: F008419180

Estimated repair date: 28 SEP 2020 15:00

You may be able to view more information on this on the service status page, although sometimes if it's only affecting a small area it will not show here. If this is the case you can quote the reference above to any agent for an update following the estimated repair date. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
malc_s
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily_G

Thanks, but I don't think its due to an area fault. We have had a poor signal on some channels for quite a while and noticed the damaged cable.

We need an engineer to visit to see if its the cable or connections in the external box.

Thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You might well find that, until the specified area fault is resolved, VM are unable to progress any secondary issues.

Firstly, there's no point trying to fix a problem that may or may not be related until that larger fault is fixed.

Secondly, VM's systems often simply don't allow agents to book engineer visits until area faults are resolved.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
malc_s
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks japitts

I hear what you say, but as a customer who is not getting a good service I'm not really interested in VM's internal systems and processes.

I'm happy to pay for an engineer visit if its considered a chargeable repair and if one is already in the area.....

I can't think of another service/product where you can't book an engineer to fix a problem. Ah, maybe BT Openreach. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Let's try explaining this another way. @Emily_G has mentioned there is an area fault already known about which could be impacting on your services. Let's assume that an engineer was tasked to your property but is unable to diagnose what's affecting you specifically because of the other ongoing fault.

In other words - is the poor signal (for arguments sake) caused by an issue on your cabling, or is it caused by the area fault? And if a fix is attempted, but makes no difference, is that because the fix has failed? Or because there's then another problem? I'm over-simplifying this a little, but hopefully it explains the logic behind the process.

It's easy to say "make it a chargeable visit", but how do you define liability until you can identify the cause?

0 Kudos