Menu
forshawj
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Mix - Sky HD upgrade cost?

Hello, I found the recent promotion to allow access to Sky News and Sky One to HD useful. Sometimes I do wonder if VM realises we are actually in the year 2020 - and why this not the default? Its not like we cannot watch Sky One or News channel without HD?!? If this was 4K then arguable I could see rational but how long as HD been around... Dinosaur business plan comes to mind. There are ways and means of course to see Sky One / News in HD - like NOW TV and others without changing vendor to Sky itself. 

Anyway regardless I did want to find out if there was any 'easy' way to upgrade to HD on Sky One or News. Logging into Virgin Media and clicking 'upgrade' always says..

Oops! Something went wrong.

Sorry, we’re unable to change your package online.

Of course with COVID-19 the call centres are impossible to get through and this isn't so urgent .. if I don't have Sky One HD or News HD then not really going to upset me too much... but I would be prepared to slightly pay more if option. So potentially VM are losing revenue because of their ineptness! 

I do wonder when Virgin Media will ever become World Class Customer Service? And not 3rd world waiting to be taken over by someone who can.

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mix - Sky HD upgrade cost?

..then you need to change supplier to one with whom you have more confidence.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
forshawj
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have confidence - some of the products are great although need updating to bring up to date with the latest trends e.g. 4K content, 1000MB Broadband rolled out quicker, better router to support 6Ghz Wifi etc etc . Holistically it needs to be unpinned by better CS - no one does that lead to improved customer loyalty but also (as it would with me) potentially increase in revenue. A page that doesn't actually give upgrades yet offers is not very useful.
After all the market / options are out there and it is a customers market.
0 Kudos
cheekyangus
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Some channels on Virgin Media have gone HD-only already. It isn't just Virgin's decision, each broadcaster is involved in the decision. The HD versions of ITV and UKTV's Free-To-Air channels are Pay channels because those broadcasters want an extra income stream. Sky's entertainment channels are only HD on VM in the top TV tier and it is probably Sky that wants it that way. Why would they want to make a competitor's service look more attractive?

NowTV is a Sky-owned service by the way.

0 Kudos
forshawj
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Good points and reluctantly have to accept... But in my opinion VM needs to be more agile in its offerings both from availability to change packages / upgrades and also be more innovative.

Yes I was aware NowTV is Sky-owned but this means I can have hybrid-services and reduce cost that way. I could for example take VM Mix or even downgrade to Basic and then use NowTV under a promotion to increase offerings. As a customer I would be happy but from a business like VM then surely they won't as they will eventually lose out as more do the same. I guess it was like travel companies before the Internet Holiday came out - where anyone can book their own holiday / travel and package this themselves (maybe not best example with Covid-19 but hopefully get point); unless this is the future multi-vendors and not everything harnessed under one.

The point of the initial post was that I enjoyed having the HD channels for FREE (anyone top-tier tough hey!) but when it ended then good marketing practice should be to then offer the same service for an additional payment .. but this doesn't seem possible which therefore must be one of the most craziest marketing campaigns!? One you can't get what you tried and two you risk annoying your long-term loyal top-tier customers ..
0 Kudos