Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

MAKING A TV BOX WORK EFFICIENTLY

Hi

Been with Virgin media a number of years. I have an out of date tv/broadband/phone package and an out of date router and have been admittedly lazy and done nothing to change things over the years. Contract ran out ages ago but just let things keep going. Consequently paying far too much for what I get. Time to sort things out on way or another!

First thing I am interested in is ensuring efficiency when using tv on demand services, YouTube, etc. It is currently so painfully slow using these services that we only use them as a last resort. It is a waste of money currently. I am hoping to agree a new package that will include the V6 box - what is the best set up to ensure this will work efficiently? 

Should the router be in the same room as the tv box and ideally hard wired to it or is that not necessary?

I live in a 3 storey town house and we have broadband requirements on all three floors. 

Will be grateful for advice as I consider my options.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: MAKING A TV BOX WORK EFFICIENTLY

as long as the V6 box is wired to the hub the location of the hub will not matter.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks apcyberax.

Is it possible to have the V6 work efficiently relying on wifi or is that inviting problems? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's perfectly possible to run a V6 over WiFi, the 5Ghz band is generally more reliable than 2.4Ghz, but.. a wired Ethernet connection is far preferable given a choice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you are working over 3 floors it might be worth looking at a third party router, particularly for 5 GHz WiFi that will be the weakest. I would suggest Powerline extenders but these sometimes don’t work well when they have to cross between different ring main circuits in the house.

V6 boxes can be very fussy with WiFi. They don’t like any contention issues when using 2.4 GHz, & 5Ghz can be too weak.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cheers nodgrod - that is interesting and something I will look further into. Apologies for taking a while to respond. It has been a long day!

0 Kudos