Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Local BBC News

I always watched BBC Look North Yorkshire which covered Sheffield and Leeds before changing to Virginmedia TV. Now on channel 101 I get Nottingham and on 159 I get Lincolnshire and Hull.  How do I get the channel I want and which gives me weather forecaster for area I am in?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Local BBC News

You can't change the regions you get on the broadcast TV channels.

However BBC local news is available via iPlayer so if you search for 'Look North' on there you'll be able to watch your local news and weather.

You can also update the region that the iPlayer shows to always default to Look North Yorkshire.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Oh, thought you would get “local” news as I did on Freestat!  But thanks for work round.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You do - but it depends where the cable network thinks you are. Due to the way the franchising maps worked back in the 80s, it can mean that 'local' news is different to where you'd expect it in 2020 as the main feed picks up a different local news than other platforms.

This is unlike Satellite which broadcasts them all and then filters it depending on a postcode.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@JMD1 wrote:

I always watched BBC Look North Yorkshire which covered Sheffield and Leeds before changing to Virginmedia TV. Now on channel 101 I get Nottingham and on 159 I get Lincolnshire and Hull.  How do I get the channel I want and which gives me weather forecaster for area I am in?

Cable regions overlap with adjacent regions in some areas due to the way the country was carved up when the franchises were issued. You can only get the channels from the network whose headend you are downstream of.

The Nottingham headend does provide alternatives in some of the overlap area, such as Lincoln.

The alternatives (if available) are:

BBC Yorks & Lincs - 858

ITV Yorkshire South - 870

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks