Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Live TV

Hi everyone.

Is there anyway to get Virgin TV without any live TV stations e.g. BBC, ITV etc. The reason for asking is because I would like to cancel my TV licence but legally can't while still receiving live TV and I don't really want to cancel Virgin TV.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Live TV

Sorry Stu1607,

that's not possible with Virgin, Sky, BT, Freeview, Freesat or any other TV provider.

You do not need a TV licence if you only watch content after it's been shown on television – UNLESS it's on BBC IPlayer - TV programmes downloaded or streamed after broadcast on other catch-up services are fine without one.

You also don't need licence to watch Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime and DVDs/Blurays.

Even if you're watching live TV on a television, computer, tablet, games console, smartphone or any other device, you'll need to pay the fee

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure it's also in Virgin's TV T&Cs that you need to have a TV licence in order to subscribe. Quite logical to be fair.

I'd be quite amazed if Sky & BT don't have something similar.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I believe that both Amazon prime and Youtube both sometimes show programs live. Amazon have recently show a few footie games

Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In VM's T & Cs, section B. Virgin TV on p3:

8. We will not continue to provide you with the television service if we find out that you do not have a valid television licence.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's okay because I think I'm going to cancel the tv part of my bundle anyway. I've not watched any live tv for weeks and my v6 box has been switch off completely. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just be aware that because of bundle discounts, your broadband and/or phone price will almost certainly increase when you cancel the TV element.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos