Menu
Unhappy2016
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Lightning strike resulted in no cable signal from box - so now UnHappy2020

Last night 11/08/2020, a large storm hit Edinburgh, there was a large crack of thunder and in an instance the cable signal on my television was lost, I have a witness who was in the room with me to confirmed this happened and was no coincidence. My virgin wifi and all other electrics are perfectly but the Virgin tv will not work. I have unplugged everything, re-booted, checked with another HDMI cable and even checked with another television.  All my electrics are working perfectly fine apart from the Virgin cable connection has been lost. There is not support from the helplines, website etc but funny when I needed to change my package, that phone line was working perfectly fine.

I am paying for a service I am not receiving so an official complaint needs to be made unless this is resolved asap. Please advise of your complaints department (realistic) contact details so I can have this sorted asap as now unhappy that there is no one to contact to resolve this issue for the product I am paying for, as per Consumer Rights Regulations Act 2015.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lightning strike resulted in no cable signal from box - so now UnHappy2020

Virgin's complaint process is detailed here 

But the first thing to do is to report your fault and give Virgin a chance to rectify it, which you can do by calling 150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone, and following the options for "I have a fault with my TV service".

That said, does your TV box power up? Do you have a TiVo or a V6 - what lights do you have on the front of the box? If the box powers up, I'd still expect to see some video output via your HDMI cable even if it's a blank screen.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Unhappy2016
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to me so quickly but I tried the telephone number you gave me, after choosing the tv option it reverted me back the website and hung up, tried twice with different options, still said it cannot help any further and hung up...so I cannot raise the fault.

Therefore, is raising a complaint my only choice? I cannot see anywhere I can log my details for this to be looked into.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Keep trying the faults number, perhaps different times of day. I know it's frustrating...

They open at 8am, so perhaps set your alarm?

Realistically... a complaint will sit in an inbox for quite a few days before being responded to, during which time you remain off-service. Waiting on here for staff to respond, a few days during which time you're off-service. Keep persisting with call queues, you should eventually get though. Try not to take your frustrations out on the agent, then lodge a complaint once you've got service restored if you still want to.

Like I said though, do you have a TiVo or a V6 - what lights do you have on the front of the box? If the box powers up, I'd still expect to see some video output via your HDMI cable even if it's a blank screen.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Unhappy2016

Welcome back to our Community and thanks so much for your post - we are sorry to hear about your TV issue so soon after the storms we've had over the last few days. I was saddened to understand that you have been struggling to get the help you need when you call us; all our fault lines are open so there should have been  no reason for the issues  you had - I do apologise. 

I have located the account from your Forum information to check the box and either get a new one delivered or a technician booked for you; however, when looking today, we can see that your box is currently switched on and online. It was last rebooted around 24 hours or so ago and seems to be working and connected to the network with no issues. 

How are things looking since your post - has your box now started working or are you still seeing issues at your end?

Please do let us know and we can run through some more checks with you if needed. If needed - would you be happy to have a new box posted so you can self-install or would a technician be preferred? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
RobertW1962
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I've had exactly the same issue, huge clash of thunder above the house on Wednesday, next day both V6 and Tivo box totally fried, no power to the V6 (tried changing fuse etc) and Tivo box seems to boot up but nothing happens, no signal to tv etc.

I realise its very difficult to maintain a level of service just now but when I do manage to get through, I'm not at home (I start work fairly early) and the call handler refuses to put me through to the technical team despite the fact that I know the boxes are both fried and all I need is for two new boxes to be sent to me which I can install myself.

Trying to phone in the evening is a waste of time, you just get put on hold for ever or asked to use the website for self help which in turn tells me to call the helpline number.

As an aside, not only were the boxes fried, so was a blue ray player, my telephones and several fuses blown as well, I've never experience anything like it before

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like you may have had some electrical discharge through the house. I would get ALL your electrics checked by a professional in case safety features have been compramised.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @RobertW1962

Welcome to our Community and for posting to this thread - sorry that you have had the same issue after the resent storms. When calling us for a fault - regardless of the reason - we do require you to be at home so we can go through some checks with you. 

I can only apologise that the storm also impacted your own devices; this is very odd as the serge protector we have on our power cables should stop this happening. The only way this could be possible is if the lightening came through different areas of your home and not just through the V6 box. 

I have been able to locate your account from your forum information and due to the nature of your issue we will actually need a technician visit rather than just sending you a new box I;m afraid. 

As such I have booked you a technician visit -  you can check the date and time via your online account and reschedule there if needed. If you have any issues with that, please do let us know. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
RobertW1962
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help, hopefully the engineer can verify my belief that both boxes need to be replaced or can fix the issue. Other electrical items were affected so I suspect it was a power surge of some sort rather than anything via the virgin cable.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You're more than welcome @RobertW1962

Keep us posted with how things go and if you have any issues with checking the date and time of your visit. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos