forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Remluf
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Keep V6 box with new bundle

I pay £61 for my bundle and see they are doing Big Bundle for £30 with the Virgin 360 box. Can I choose to keep my V6 as it is 80% full and I don't want to give it back and lose those recordings.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keep V6 box with new bundle

As far as I know all new bundles now include Horizon platform boxes as standard.

Virgin are also (by invitation only) upgrading V6 TiVO boxes to Horizon. But even with this option the boxes must be reformatted to install the new firmware, which wipes off all the recordings.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

In addition to @nodrogd answer...

I've (very recently) renewed my VM deal for 18months, and am very much a V6 fan. In time I'm sure the V360 will be a much improved box, but for now... I'm quite happy witth the V6 too - and being an existing customer, I didn't ask for a box-swap and it wasn't an issue.

The TiVo/V6 platform will be around for a little while yet, and I seem to recall there was a similar situation going back, where I had a TiVo and the V6 was the star-product.

All new TV & broadband installs are V360 only. TV-only customers are still getting TiVo boxes, and box-swaps from TiVo > V6 are still actively happening.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Remluf
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks. If the V6 has to be formatted then I may as well get a 360. What happens to the V6? Do I post it back when I get the 360 or throw it away?
Are are the rear connections on the 360 the same or will I need new cables?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Remluf wrote:

Ok thanks. If the V6 has to be formatted then I may as well get a 360.

Why would your V6 need to be reformatted? If it's working now, I don't see any reason for you to reformat it?

Remember the V360 runs an entirely different software platform to TiVo/V6. Some like it, some don't - but don't just jump in "because it's new".

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

@Remluf wrote:

Ok thanks. If the V6 has to be formatted then I may as well get a 360.

Why would your V6 need to be reformatted? If it's working now, I don't see any reason for you to reformat it?

The OP is not reformatting it. Virgin need to reformat the hard drive to install Horizon, so either with a new Humax box or the existing Arris box the OP will still lose their recordings in the process.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Agreed.

I thought the OP was asking, "if I get a new bundle, do I need to have a V360 or can I keep my V6".. in which case the answer is that I don't see any reason they can't keep their V6 running as it is.

0 Kudos
Remluf
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

To claify, I was asking if I could keep the V6 with the new package as it has recordings on it. I thought it may be a requirement to move to a 360. However if taking the new package means losing the recordings on my V6 which I did not know about, then I may as well get a 360 and bin the V6.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ok, that makes sense - my original reply tried to explain but probably ended up confusing.

No, signing up to a new bundle does not, at this time, require a box-change. New TV customers are now being given V360 as a matter of course, which is why the online sales process mentions one.

Existing customers who have a V6 but want to move to a new bundle, are perfectly entitled to keep that V6.

0 Kudos
Remluf
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I wonder if people do keep their V6 though as everyrthing will be deleted on it when they get a new package.

Does the 360 have the same capacity of around 500 hours?

0 Kudos