Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Issues with TV

We recently had an issue with some TV channels (noticeabley Sky Sports Golf/BT Sport as I watch them the most) and Virgin couldn't resolve it over the phone so sent a new Samsung box. When we plugged this in, our V6 box upstairs stopped working completely and two days later we lost the internet. 

We had a technician round who diagnosed the internet issue as a faulty ethernet cable in the back of the router (ethernet cable wasn't being used so no issue to remove it), it has since fixed the internet and also the V6 box is now working but only intermitently. We cannot access things like Netflix/On Demand, cannot connect to our other box to watch recordings etc.. 

On the Samsung box we are back to channels being scrambled (Sky Sports Golf/BT Sport again...) and also we appear to have lost our Ultra HD channels which we pay for. The final issues appears that our 'HD' channels like Sky Sports HD do not seem to be of a HD quality anymore. There seems to be an underlying issue somewhere! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issues with TV

Can you say exactly what the "Samsung box" is? Is it the Tivo?

Re. the issue with the V6 - is that not connected to your Hub by ethernet cable and now connecting over wifi? If so - that would be the source of the issue. Is it "convenient" for you to plug a new Cat5e/6/7 cable into it and connect it to the Hub - that will give faultless connections.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply. 

the V6 box is connected via WiFi which it has been ever since it was installed (3 years ago) and we can’t really connect it via Ethernet unfortunately. I will note our phones have very strong WiFi signal in the same room as the V6 box. 

the Samsung box is indeed a TiVo box. When we watch Prime/Netflix on this box they play in 4K Ultra HD quality without issues, however our Virgin HD channels seem to be not so clear. Also the disappearance of our Ultra HD Bt Sport etc.. seems a bit strange?? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Right that's clearer. i am surprised that they didnt send you a V6 rather than a TiVo - but hey ho !

Sounds as if you will need to contact VM to get them to sort it out. The tech who said it was a faulty ethernet cable was guessing (and that's a generous description). The Tivo has no need for ethernet connections nor should it be affected by anything on the Hub (that's why TiVo's and not V6's are installed for customers who dont take VM broadband) for any of its VM content - it all comes via the co-ax connection.

As some channels are fine and some aren't - or are missing, means you need to call in and get them to fix it.

Calling at 08.00 is the best time to get through quickly

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Really appreciate you taking the time to help. 

I will go through the pain of the call centre then!! A further 1hr30mins of my life I won’t get back! 

0 Kudos