Menu
EMack
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is there a TV product without a box?

Hi,

I have a Chromecast in my TV and almost all the TV that we watch in the house is streamed to that. (BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon movies, Disney+, sometimes Google Movies).

Is there a VM TV service that we could use in the same way without needing a box by the TV?

Thanks for any ideas!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is there a TV product without a box?

No. Virgin Media sell cable TV.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

EMack
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

But, there are Video on Demand products, and there are watch on tablet options - can they Chromecast?

Is there really no "TV" product that sells movies on demand and subscription content over virgin media broadband and doesn't require a box? I'd love to be able to consolidate the subscriptions that I currently have.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_Cgave you the definitive reply. But I'll repeat it in case you find it difficult to accept "no". No. VM is a closed system. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@EMack wrote:

But, there are Video on Demand products, and there are watch on tablet options - can they Chromecast?

Is there really no "TV" product that sells movies on demand and subscription content over virgin media broadband and doesn't require a box? I'd love to be able to consolidate the subscriptions that I currently have.

No, there isn’t. Virgin, Sky, Freeview & the like are BROADCAST providers. All the channels are carried all the time in the cable, & the box contains multiple CATV tuners to decode these as required. Hence these boxes do not use Broadband capacity. On Demand is the only part that uses your hub to access the content. Virgin have agreements with the broadcasters that allow some streaming to portable devices (tablets & phones) but this does not extend to TVs via any third party streaming device.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993