Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How do I get a V6 box?

I have been a customer since 2017, and do not have a V6 box. My understanding is that existing customers were offered this for free, but I never received any communication.

I want to be able to stream Amazon Prime through my TV, but my existing TIVO box will not let me do this. Plus teh box itself is old and takes ages to load any form of streaming service.

Can you advice how I can the box?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I get a V6 box?

Hi,

Have you managed to resolve this yet? If not I might be able to help - but may require account and area reference details If you still have an issue send me a private message.

I will need to test your services remotely.

To PM me, just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any personal info in this thread as it's public.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can I ask if you are also a Virgin Broadband customer?

If you only have TV & Phone on your account you would need to upgrade to Virgin Broadband to use a V6.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Broadband, TV and phone all included in my package.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@KTVbox wrote:

Broadband, TV and phone all included in my package.

That’s all fine then. The free boxes were initially going out to V+ box users as these were obsolete. There was also a staged changeover of the TiVO boxes, although these are not obsolete they offer fewer services as you know.

Just to point out, the V6 is reliant on the Virgin hub (which must be a Superhub 2 or hub 3) for content as well as the coax cable. So it’s recommended that there is an Ethernet connection between the two. A 3 metre cable is provided as standard. If you require a longer length you will need to provide your own Cat5e/Cat6 cable. You can use Powerline connectors if the hub is in another room, or use WiFi. But beware if WiFi is congested in your area you may have issues using it.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So how do i obtain one? I feel that I shouldn't have to pay more due to being a longstanding existing customer with the package that I am on.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi you have been invited to PM Retro-Tech .Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just so you know - there have been no "free" swaps since I got mine a couple of years ago.

You will be charged ~£135 and an extra £7.50/month (IIRC).

Some people have spoken to retentions and negotiated a new deal and got some of those charges waived... but in the present climate that might be difficult.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Seriously? Makes me think why i am sticking with Virgin when the don't look after their existing customer-base...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@KTVbox wrote:

Seriously? Makes me think why i am sticking with Virgin when the don't look after their existing customer-base...

Makes me think you must be on a legacy package, so you will be paying over the odds for your services anyway. Any contract renewal will result in a V6 upgrade as all the current ones have it as standard. I would call Retentions post this whole virus palaver & renegotiate your contract. You should get new equipment & it may work out cheaper.