Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Homeworks - waste of money. Really poor customer service, again, with such a simple fix in the end.

Having had problems for 2-3 weeks of not being able to watch anything On Demand/Catchup as it always froze after the ads, but before the programme started, I tried on 3 separate occasions over that period to get through on the phone to Virgin Media support. Each time I held for between 45mins and an hour or more and had to abort due to other things going on work wise, etc. I eventually got through after holding for over an hour again on 25/10 and explained that I had spent ages following the online support/troubleshooting without any joy. They again ran through much of what I had already tried and told me that I would need a new V6 box which would resolve the issue and this arrived just a few days later. I installed this and the problem remained. I called again, held for 45 mins, and was then told that there was a known fault in my area (not showing on the online service status!) and had been so since 23/10 - two days before my initial report. I explained that I'd had the issue for weeks, but was categorically assured the fault would be fixed by 02/11 and I would receive notification (once fixed), which I didn't, and this would definitely resolve my issue and I didn't need an engineer visit. I was also told that, although I pay £10 a month extra for Homeworks (next day engineer visit), I would have to wait 3-5 working days before someone could call me back and/or arrange an engineer visit. I gave up waiting and called again yesterday as the problem was still there. This time I spoke to someone who solved the issue within a few minutes by advising me to change my TV resolution which seems to have resolved the issue - although I'm unsure as to why we hadn't had any problems using the automatically selected higher resolution for the previous year! Anyway, it appears that Homeworks is a complete waste of money if they need 3-5 working days to call you and decide whether you get a next day engineer list or not. Rather defeats the object. Asked for someone in complaints to cal me back to discuss further, but won't hold my breath!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Homeworks - waste of money. Really poor customer service, again, with such a simple fix in the end.

Hi Superseagull8,

Do you have a 4K TV? If changing the resolution on your TV fixed your issue, then some of the problems may be due to compatability issues with your HDMI cables.  VM recently updated the V6 box software which prevented a lot of older HDMI cables working due to High Definition Copy Protection.

It may worthwhile reading this page and experimenting to get full resolution again watching-4k-ultra-hd-content 

TV resolution issues can also be caused by people using splitters. If any device on the splitter is using a lower standard HDMI then it can affect the other equipment connected.

Regarding the Homeworks, I'm not sure if the 24 hour call out still applies if there is a broader local outage/fault.  The online status checker doesn't always list localised faults, the full details are usually available by calling the Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Homeworks - waste of money. Really poor customer service, again, with such a simple fix in the end.

My understanding is that Homeworks applies to broadband faults only, and not TV issues, and from your description this sounds like a TV issue only (and quite possibly an HDCP issue not a fault)

I am open to be corrected by others more informed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply newapollo - most helpful. I have a Samsung 4k tv and I will definitely take a look at the article you kindly supplied the link to. Only bought the HDMI cables a year or so ago, but may still be the issue - I'm not using a splitter or anything else. You would think that a simple email to all Virgin TV customers with these details around the time of the V6 box update would have saved many issues and many disgruntled customers, not to mention Virgin customer service staff time. I can't believe I'm the only one that had this issue. The way they handled the issue was, as usual in my experience, poor and at one point, a guy in a UK centre asked me if I'd previously spoken to one of their overseas customer service centres before "as they are a bit rubbish!" Keen for my contract to end now and get back to a cheaper service as not been impressed with Virgin's customer service one bit since day one. thanks agin - much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks japitss. I'll look into this as that wasn't how it was sold to me at the time. Obviously the broadband is more critical than the TV service, but they need to be more transparent about that when upsetting Homeworks.

Sounds like it was definitely a TV settings issue that potentially came to light after a V6 box update - see my reply to newapollo.

Cheers - appreciate your input.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Superseagull8,

A lot of the Samsungs use the MHL port for 4K

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Superseagull8 wrote:

You would think that a simple email to all Virgin TV customers with these details around the time of the V6 box update would have saved many issues and many disgruntled customers, not to mention Virgin customer service staff time. I can't believe I'm the only one that had this issue.

No, you're not the only one by a country mile. There were many posts on these boards a month or so ago when the new software first started dropping.

I suspect that to email every single one of VM's millions of TV customers about a compatibility issue that would likely only affect a subset of them, would probably be deemed as "crying wolf" and worry many customers needlessly. I don't know for sure, I'm just surmising.

This does rely on VM's support process working to easily capture those customers, and VM C/S has many issues at the moment.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/ is worth a good read, it gives some background info on what is now industry-standard copy protection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos