Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Help Desperately Required

Hello

I have Virgin TV through a Tivo Box and over the past few months have experienced terrible picture distortion - it is now so bad it is now unviewable. I have run countless online tests and always get the same result - "there is a technical fault with your box". I have waited and waited for weeks for Virgin to come and fix the problem but nothing has happened. I have phoned and phoned day in day out but nobody answers - also e-mailed many times but again no response. I have double checked all cables and connections. My monthly payment is still being taken. My senior age and severe covid travel restrictions in Central Scotland prohibits me from visiting Virgin store in Edinburgh to seek answers. I am now at a loss as what to do next - should I just contact my bank and stop all future payments thus breaking my contract as Virgin are not complying with their side of the contract. Any advice on how to resolve the current impasse would be greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Help Desperately Required

Sounds like the box needs replacing. You can’t even visit the Virgin stores now, they were all closed down last year.

The best time to phone is at around 8am, but the lines are very busy. I would certainly advise against stopping any payments as this will lead to a default on your credit record which can cause you to be refused credit elsewhere.

I will escalate this to the Forum Team for a response & they should respond shortly.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for the post Jimc99 and welcome to our community.

Can we please confirm if you've been through the following to try fix the distortion of the picture: Home> Help&Settings> Settings> Network> Connect to Virgin Media Service Now

Thanks, Emily.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Many thanks for your very quick and informative response - greatly appreciated. I had not realised that all Virgin Shops had now closed. It does surprise me that by me using the online test Virgin informed me that my box had a technical fault and as they own all the equipment and I only rent it - surely that should have resulted in an automatic visit from a technician to solve the problem as it is their responsibility to maintain the equipment.....clearly that is not the case. I have tried the call centres at all times of the day with the same degree of non-success and will now wait on a response from Virgin as a result of your helpful actions. Thank you again. Kind regards, Jim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@jimc99 wrote:

Hello

Many thanks for your very quick and informative response - greatly appreciated. I had not realised that all Virgin Shops had now closed. It does surprise me that by me using the online test Virgin informed me that my box had a technical fault and as they own all the equipment and I only rent it - surely that should have resulted in an automatic visit from a technician to solve the problem as it is their responsibility to maintain the equipment.....clearly that is not the case. I have tried the call centres at all times of the day with the same degree of non-success and will now wait on a response from Virgin as a result of your helpful actions. Thank you again. Kind regards, Jim

Virgin monitors equipment on all the property it owns. The equipment you rent is on your property, & for them to monitor this automatically would lead to a lot of legal privacy issues. Customer Services can run checks on your box on a one-off basis if you report it. But automatic monitoring is not allowed.

Emily, who responded above is a Virgin Forum team member & should be able to get an technician booked if you need one.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you're able to try the steps I listed above and also run through a reboot of the Hub and Tivo box while checking the wires are securely inserted and showing no signs of damage we can then diagnose this and send someone out if needed. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello Emily

Thank you for getting in touch. I can confirm that I have done everything possible that I can think of to correct the fault - switching cables, switching input ports, rebooting. In order to get an "undistorted and un-pixilated" picture I have to reboot the box many times. Sometimes this works on most channels though not on all of them - other times all channels are badly affected with some totally unviewable. For example I wanted to watch the Merseyside derby last Saturday but, despite rebooting box, the picture was terrible - by contrast last night's football channels were okay. This has happened frequently over the past couple of months over the small number of channels that I usually view. There is no consistency to which channels affected and sometimes all of them are - it is very frustrating as you will no doubt appreciate. I would be grateful for any help you can provide. Thank you. Jim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello - thanks for all your help. I have contacted Emily. Regards Jim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for the update Jimc99.

We've used the forum information to book you a replacement Tivo box to be sent to you.

It should arrive in 3-5 working days.

Please let us know how this goes. 

Thanks, Emily.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Emily - your efforts are well appreciated. I will let you know if the new box is a success. Kind regards. Jim

0 Kudos