Menu
tonyworks
Superfast
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

HELP. Understanding what TV channels can I get

Hi,

I am thinking of leaving Virgin as I seem to be getting differing advice each time I phone up.

All I want to know is what channels will I be getting. I am being told Maxit or Mixit (not very good names as they can easily get mixed up.)

Then there are personal picks?

I do not really want any sport but I do watch the occasional drama.

I find that the cost of each package is always hidden and each time I phone up it is different.

Can anybody give me a good guide to what I may be signing up for? (for 18 months)

It seems impossible to get any sense from anyone on the phone. There is no website you can go on for correct information. So far my package goes up by about £10 each year.

I am totally lost in sorting out my new package

Mixit or maxit??  or Freeview

frustrated

Tony

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: HELP. Understanding what TV channels can I get

Firstly, I won't even attempt to go into pricing - this can so often be individual to yourself, and depend on bundle discounts, but you can play around with the build my bundle checker to get some idea. It does show "new customer" and "standard" pricing, so be aware of this.

"Mixit" is the basic package which is broadly comparable to Freeview, but there are differences. You can add on "Personal Picks" which are small packages of genres of channels (entertainment, drama, documentaries etc) and build upto "Maxit" which contains everything except the kids & premium channels.

Scroll to the bottom of this page for the channel guide which is also downloadable in PDF format. Personal picks are detailed here 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tonyworks
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

It is a pity that they are not up front about the prices.

I am not prepared to pay the prices they quote that tie me down for another 18 months without a significant discount.

I will just let my contract lapse and see what I can get later on next year, (perhaps with Sky).

Thanks for your help

Tony

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The multitude of bundle discounts mean that it's very much the "nature of the beast" about pricing I'm afraid. The "build a bundle" page I linked to, is probably the best you'll find, as a way of playing with options to get sample prices.

In terms of what you're prepared to pay - once you are out-of-contract and in a position to consider a move to another provider, then price up a package with VM to get a (realistic) price in mind of what you're prepared to pay. Compare other providers and have their prices to-hand. Then call Virgin, fully prepared to give your 30days notice but also fully prepared (if you are) to re-contract if they will offer a suitable price.

Also have a read and digest of this excellent advice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks