Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 81 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Re: Free TiVo box upgrade letter

Try clearing your browsers cache - or try a new browser.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 82 of 122
Flag for a moderator

I've finally managed today to order my box through the link. 

I did have to clear my browsers cache to do it, but fingers crossed, I should have it by Saturday!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 83 of 122
Flag for a moderator

I think that the "insurance charge" is the £5 they ask for if you want it delivered but do not want an engineer.  Agree it is a cheek to ask for it when, after all, it is Virgin who have decided to make changes.  I seem to recall paying Virgin for connection when I first joined so why do I have to pay again?  Virgin should foot the bill for this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 84 of 122
Flag for a moderator

After speaking to customer services yesterday I was advised that I need an engineer out as my hub is in a different room to my TV box, I told her that I have seen on this forum that there will  be a 30 pound charge and I dont see why I should pay it as I have not just decided to upgrade and that virgin are not supporting my old box by the end if the month,her reply was " I will not be charged for the engineer to visit as in the letter it states it is free",low and behold I have had an email today,my next bill will include 30 pound for the engineers visit!!!!moderators, are the calls recorded???everytime you ring you get different answers.i didn't really want an engineer to come out but as the hub is in a different room I have no choice!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 85 of 122
Flag for a moderator

I am not sure you need an engineers visit just because the Hub is in a different room to the box you are replacing. The will simply use the existing coax connection - if its a Tivo then that is QED. If you are getting a V6 then it needs connecting to the Hub. This requires (preferably) a Cat5e/6 ethernet cable - which I am guessing will be a long one and require "hiding" - I suspect if the techy went that route they would simply nail it to your skirting boards an drill through door frames. So I suspect they will try and connect it by wifi - which should be perfectly fine (I have 2 connected on wifi) - as long as you have a good strong signal at the location of the new box.

In either case these are "easy" self installs, - I cant see the need for an engineer Maybe a superuser can ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 86 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply,I presume it's a TiVo box as that's what the letter stated free upgrade to tivo.what is Qed?don't fancy them nailing a coax to the skirting board,it will have a long way to go

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 87 of 122
Flag for a moderator

QED is Latin "quod erat demonstrandum" - literally means “what was to be demonstrated.” I use it (perhaps a bit "loosely") to mean - "end of story"- (an ex-Grammar school boy i'm afraid!) 🙂
i.e the Tivo just connects to the existing coax - that's it - nothing else needed for normal use so there will be no ethernet cable required or offered.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 88 of 122
Flag for a moderator

I have just looked on my virgin media account and it looks like it's a v6 box that they have upgraded me to ( doesn't say that on the letter) I think I would prefer it to be cabled,not sure if the engineer would do it or just try and connect to wifi,we do run a few gadgets on wifi don't really want to add to it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 89 of 122
Flag for a moderator

If your wifi signal is good and strong it should be fine - my 2 are. If its not then your options are...

1) Ethernet cable (use Cat6) connect it to the Hub (best option) - techy may do it but you might want to do it yourself as i'm sure you would be more careful and hide the cable behind cupboards, under carpets, under floorboards, etc  In fact you could prelay the cable before the techy arrives.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-Ethernet-Gigabit-1000Mbit-broadband/dp/B014DRRALM/

2) Improve the wifi signal at its location - lots of discussion and suggestions of how to achieve that here

3) Connect the V6 to the Hub by good quality powerline adapters with short Ca6 cables (assuming your electric circuits connection is ok)

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 90 of 122
Flag for a moderator

I think there is too much confusion with all the replies on here. The box that needs replacing is the early HD. In my my case I have a Tivo (not V6) box downstairs and the HD box is upstairs connected to a coax cable installed by Virgin. So they will send me another basic TiVo box. All I need to do is plug it in and follow set up procedure.

AND STILL THE LINK DOES NOT WORK - LOOKS LIKE I WON’T BE GETTING A NEW BOX ANYWAY. I WILL JUST WAIT UNTIL MY HD BOX STOPS THEN CALL THEM OUT.