Menu
Dangerousdave66
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Exploding signal booster

Last night while watching TV there was a loud bang, smoke and a fireball shot towards our curtains. It seems a capacitor and some other components have exploded in the signal booster. Now we cannot get the Tivo to work and we are getting a S101 error code, despite checking all the connections. We are very angry that this Virgin booster proved to be faulty and highly dangerous as there might have been a house fire. Tried phoning 150 but no response.20201213_113205 (1)smol.jpg

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Exploding signal booster

Hello

Due to the nature of you query and as it is a safety issue.

I have escalated to the VM forum team, one of the VM staff will be along in this thread to have a look at it for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I have had a look at the image  you have supplied and that certainly doesn't look like a virginmedia booster does it have any marking that state it is virginmedia ?

How long have you had that booster ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dangerousdave66,

Welcome to our forums and thank you for reaching out with regards to this incident. I can certainly appreciate how concerning this must be, so I'm glad that no one was hurt and no major damage was done.

As Mike has said, this doesn't appear to be one of our boosters. It doesn't look like anything we supply at the moment and I don't recognise it as a previous generation of our boosters either. The powerline adaptors/boosters which we provide tend to be much more blocky and rectangular than the image you've shared, and our new wifi pods are hexagonal. If this booster does have Virgin branding, please could you provide another photo showing this so we can raise it with the appropriate team.

As it stands, I'm more than happy to take a look at the issues you've mentioned with your TV box. I'll drop you a private message now to clear security and confirm which V6 is affected. I can then run a few checks and we can take it from there. Please head to the purple envelope in the top right corner to respond when you're able.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

thats not a booster.
Its has a f type connector on.
Looks like a power supply from a Fiber to coax or signal booster (not wifi booster)
Dangerousdave66
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rachael,

It has a Virgin logo on the top so it is clearly your device! I am beginning to think that this needs to be escalated to another level.

Regards,

Dave.

0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

Thank you for coming back to us. If you're able to provide a photo of this Virgin logo, as requested, I'm more than happy to reach out to the relevant team to have this addressed. Without an image showing that this equipment was indeed supplied by us, I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to take this any further.

I've also responded to your private message, so we can continue there.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That is an HDU power supply unit & is Virgin kit. This is an image I borrowed relating to an earlier thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/White-power-supply-plug/td-p/4183589 

267D4C1E-B473-470E-A35A-6E24AB359CC8.jpeg

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

0 Kudos