Menu
NormanPerrin
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Excessive buffering and tv programme cuts out

I'd just like to be able to switch the tv on, select a programme and watch it through to the end. This has proved impossible now for some time.

Programmes on Netflix and iPlayer (and similar) start OK then after some time ( a few minutes or longer, it varies) buffering starts and the programme stops.  Waiting 10 mins or so seems to work in getting restarted but might buffer again immediately - or not.

I have followed all help instructions given via 150 and from VirginMedia on Twitter without success. The problem continues. I've been trying to get help since the end October and have been directed here.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Excessive buffering and tv programme cuts out

You've mentioned Netflix & iPlayer which are both internet streaming services.

Do you have a TiVo or a V6? If you're not sure - check here - the two variants of boxes are different beasts where streaming is concerned, so the advice differs.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
NormanPerrin
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. It's a TiVo box.
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok, first question do you have Virgin broadband at all...

The TiVo is fundamentally quite old hardware, and does struggle to run the newer streaming apps - the only way to fix this is to swap to the newer V6 box which is much quicker. The only caveat is that because the V6 doesn't have an inbuilt internet connection, you need to have VM home broadband.

Many of the problems with the TiVo are also caused by the inbuilt internet failing, and consequently the box not having an internet connection in order to stream video. Very easy to check, by 2 methods..

1: On the front-left of the box there's a series of green lights, the second from left is your "internet online" light and should be on solidly. If it's ever flashing, that's the internet offline.

2: If you follow on the TiVo menus.. Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and look in the top-right, does the box report online?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

NormanPerrin
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.
Yes - we have Virgin Broadband
Your other 2 questions:
1. the 2nd left green light is solidly on
2. will have to check later.

Am guessing the answer is as you say, the "quite old hardware".

0 Kudos
NormanPerrin
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

We decided to get a V6 box.

There's got to be an easy way to do that!

Need help how to place an order that doesn't involve cup-de-sacs and multiple (irrelevant) options

0 Kudos
NormanPerrin
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"cul-de-sacs"
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There's two ways.,.

1: Go the faults route - get your TiVo confirmed as needing replacing, and then ask nicely if you can swap for a V6. No guarantees, but you never know...

2: Go the re-grade route - look over your TV package, especially if you've had it a while, and see whether a newer bundle might suit you better than what you're on now. Then go down the "I want to renegotiate my package" route, with a view to a box-swap being part of the bargain. You'll need to be willing to re-contract for 12/18months this way.

P.S... after you've posted on here, you have a short time to amend your existing post without needing to re-post. Click on "post options" in the top-right of each post, and "edit reply" is one of the options 😉

0 Kudos
NormanPerrin
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So there's no simple way of swapping it that doesn't involve an hour waiting for phone help or the nightmare of auto online support?
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There's no online order form if that's what you're asking, no...

Unfortunately making changes to accounts (which includes changing your equipment) can affect the bundle you're on in some cases - and even online orders are manually processed once you complete the form.

Occasionally VM have a proactive swapout campaign which is usually done by online forms - but the last one I recall was back around May/June this year.