Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Dull and Soft Picture Quality

The picture quality on the Virgin Media seems very poor on many channels compared to standard Freeview.

I got bored listening to on hold music when I tried to call customer services so I've read quite a few posts about it on here but not sure if it's just how it is on virgin.  The picture seems very soft almost like the HD signal is only SD quality. It's also quite dull and noisy on most channels.

I've tried all the different output settings but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Picture quality on BBC for example is better on iPlayer than live on VM.

Is the picture just not all that on VM?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dull and Soft Picture Quality

Which channels specifically? 

Not all channels are available in HD, just as they aren't on Freeview. I know the example you gave was the BBC, but not all their channels are HD. Depending on your region 101 isn't the HD version of BBC1, 108 is.

Also what Virgin box do you have? Tivo or V6?

There's a notable difference between Standard Definition and HD on my Virgin Media box so there must be something wrong.

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi I don't have any problems with my picture quality, on HD or SD on virgin, do you have a 4K TV & what box do you have without more information it's impossible to diagnose.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi cheekyangus,

I pretty much watch only the HD channels; BBC1 HD, BBC2 HD ITV1 HD, CH4 HD, CH5 HD etc.  Whilst the picture on those is better then the SD equivalents it's not on a par with the same channels on freeview.

My TV is a Sony Standard 1080P TV with freeview HD tuner and I have the V6 box with the virgin supplied cables, I've also tried my Samsung TV and have the same results.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi LittleMick73,

We have Sony & Samsung 1080P screens with V6 box. I was considering getting a bigger 4K TV for Netflix and Amazon but am worried that the VM picture will look even worse on a bigger screen.

Not sure if VM picture is just not as good as freeview (we did have a very strong signal in our previous place on freeview)

How does your picture compare on VM verses Freeview?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As an experiment set the video output to 1080i only, then 1080p only, and compare by viewing HD channels. Is there a significant difference?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi mine is better on my V6 than freeview, also you might using the correct HDMI cable it should be a 4K ultra high speed one regardless of wether you have a 4K TV, also try Roger_Gooner surrgestion.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rodger Gooner,

It makes no difference

Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi LittleMick73,

HDMI cable is the VM supplied one, I guess that this is 4K.

From what you guys have said I should get better images on VM compared to Freeview, so I think that it's signal related. No issues so far with the broadband, very impressed with that.
I'll have to give the help line a call again, hopefully my call will get answered next time.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Im new to virgin and find alot of channels poor quality coming from skyq i have a 4k tv , and yes the broadband speed is great but find wifi speeds rubbish around the home just 15ft from hub in same room the speed is halved from 500 to 250 , then out of the room down to 30-40