Menu
Gr_Pi_96
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Drama and Yesterday issues

Hi All, 

I keep having issues with 4:3 aspect ratio programming on UKTV Drama and Yesterday Channels. The aspect ratio is totally wrong yet 16:9 programming is perfect? Why is this? 

Yet, if I watch these channels on Freeview they are always perfect. I've tried it out on multiple TVs in my home and I get the same result. 

This is a virgin issue so can it be looked into please?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Drama and Yesterday issues

What exactly are the problems you are seeing?

The channels look exactly the same on Freeview & Cable on my TVs.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Gr_Pi_96
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you go onto the channel now for example on Virgin, you will see that Keeping Up Appearances screen ratio is just totally wrong and you can't see the Drama Logo in the top left of the screen yet on Freeview, the ratio is fine and you can see the channel logo. 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Gr_Pi_96 wrote:

If you go onto the channel now for example on Virgin, you will see that Keeping Up Appearances screen ratio is just totally wrong and you can't see the Drama Logo in the top left of the screen yet on Freeview, the ratio is fine and you can see the channel logo. 

Right! I would say your TV (when using Freeview) is in panel mode. Your Virgin box defaults to Full Screen, which stretches the 4:3 picture to fit a 16:9 display.

On your Virgin box, Go to Home>Help & Settings>Settings>Video Output>Aspect Correction Mode & change this to Panel. This should keep all 4:3 broadcasts in that ratio.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Gr_Pi_96
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just tried that and it makes no difference at all.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

All I can say is this issue has been mentioned before, & is more often than not traceable to the TV settings. Most TVs have seperate settings for HDMI inputs & Freeview, so you just need to get them to match.

As already mentioned, if this was an issue on Virgins system all customers on the network would see the same issue, as all TV content comes from one Master Headend near Heathrow

0 Kudos
Gr_Pi_96
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Why do I only see the issue on these two channels though? All other channels are perfect

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

These channels show a lot of old programmes that are not in the standard 16:9 format. On HD channels these are reprocessed at the broadcasters end & automatically have side panels added to the transmission. With SD channels it is left to the customers equipment as to the way they are processed.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A lot of people don't notice when 4:3 is being zoomed, so no surprise at the lack of complaints.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos