Menu
channel4squares
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Disney Channel UK closing down early

Hello. I was wondering why did Virgin TV close down Disney Channel UK early?
I know it doesn't finish broadcasting until 12 midnight tonight and it actually closed down just after 5:30 this morning. With some of us looking forward to the 3 Descendants films tonight along with other movies on the channel, is there any chance Virgin could please unblock Disney Channel to show those 3 films? I can see your guide is showing those 3 films tonight.

it would be great if it would happen, this is the holding slide we're getting at the moment.

Disney holding slide.png

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Disney Channel UK closing down early

Hello

I am afraid that there is nothing that VM can do to get it back, the removal can happen at any time today and from looking at it it is gone.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If its gone then Disney have pulled the plug on the incoming feed to Virgin.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not sure why the feed to Virgin has been cut early but the Disney channels are only due to close at midnight and are still broadcasting as normal on Sky. 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It was announced in June that Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Junior would be pulled from the UK as neither VM nor Sky had agreed a new carriage deal with Disney following the launch of Disney+. There seems litle doubt that the very poor viewing figures provided no incentive for VM and Sky to continue carrying these channels.

I tried the Disney+ app for a few days on my Fire TV stick but found nothing of interest, so had no reason to pay £5.99pm or £59.99pa to subscribe.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Juventino
Up to speed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No, likewise it holds little interest for me, but they have said they would only be streaming family friendly content so families are likely to flock and anyone interested in Star wars and the tamer superhero stuff would probably sign up. Does this mean they will be pulling everything that is a Disney product from all other TV platforms?

0 Kudos
Nickys
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am sure that virginmedia knew the the disney channels where being axed. If so how come the customers where not informed of this well I definitely wasn't.  So are Vm now going to refund me? And all their customers because miss communication.

0 Kudos
paul0363
Rising star
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Nickys wrote:

So are Vm now going to refund me? And all their customers because miss communication.

No - because it's in the T's & C's that channels can be removed:

"The television service is a variable TV service, so we don’t guarantee that we’ll provide any particular channel, or other content, or access to any third-party services. This means we may add, remove, change or interrupt (some, or all, of) the content and/or the television service from time to time. We may also have to make changes for reasons including (but not limited to) matters beyond our reasonable control, or where content or a service is made available to us by a third-party and they stop making them available to us or we gain or lose the right to make the content or service available to you. Where this happens and, if appropriate, we will try to replace content with similar or equivalent content."

As for being informed - there was a pop up message on all of these channels for a week or so before they were due to close.

Capture.PNG

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Nickys wrote:

I am sure that virginmedia knew the the disney channels where being axed. If so how come the customers where not informed of this well I definitely wasn't.  So are Vm now going to refund me? And all their customers because miss communication.

The removal of the Disney channels was well publicised in the media.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/11970010/disney-channels-closing-uk-sky-virgin/ 

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1302700/Sky-Q-Virgin-Media-TV-V6-Subscribers... 

The channels have been replaced with a large amount of new On Demand content, plus the YouTube Kids & Hopster apps.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

0 Kudos