Menu
SpacePhoenix
Superfast
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Discovery channels on Virgin

I noticed that Discovery Shed and Discovery Home & Health have gone, both moved onto the Discovery+ streaming service. Is it know yet if any of the other Discovery channels currently on Virgin will suffer the same fate?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Discovery channels on Virgin

I'm not sure whether "Shed" & "Home & Health" have moved onto streaming so much. The channels have closed, and Discovery+ just happens to be the latest streaming service in the same vein as Disney+, Netflix, Amazon etc.

There is currently a lot of on-screen promotion for Discovery+, but there aren't currently any plans AFAIK for any further Discovery channel changes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
cheekyangus
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Discovery Home & Health and Discovery Shed have closed on all TV platforms in UK. The ratings were tiny, so clearly Discovery decided it wasn't worth the running costs of broadcast. The shows will likely turn up not just on the Discovery+ service, but spread among the schedules of their other channels, both Pay and Free-To-Air (i.e. Quest, Quest Red, Really, DMAX, HGTV).

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Bear in mind with all these “plus” add ons that they are additional pay services that bypass the broadcast platforms.

A lot of these are aimed at cutting out the middle man, & costs to use them will be additional to your existing subscriptions even if they appear on broadcast platforms.

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

SpacePhoenix
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

Bear in mind with all these “plus” add ons that they are additional pay services that bypass the broadcast platforms.

A lot of these are aimed at cutting out the middle man, & costs to use them will be additional to your existing subscriptions even if they appear on broadcast platforms.

I do wonder if in the long term the TV industry will eventually move over to streaming everything

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

By golly, that's a can of worms question.... 😉

Personally - there's a place for both.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Although linear TV is in decline a lot of it is still watched every day and the vast majority of over 55s have a preference for linear viewing. I think we'll have both linear and VOD for decades.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos