Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Default hd channels

Why does bbc2, bbc four and channel 5 default to HD while the others don't? Is this not the 21st century? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Default hd channels

Channels that have or had an SD & HD version that then changes to HD only is down to the channel provider if they decide to remove SD version and only go with HD it’s down to them nothing to do with Virgin Media. And while I do agree that all channels should be HD by now that is up to the channel provider until they decide to do it there is nothing Virgin can do about it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Makes sense. Seems odd that only bbc2 and four should be HD only and not bbc1 though doesn't it? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@adecooper wrote:

Thanks. Makes sense. Seems odd that only bbc2 and four should be HD only and not bbc1 though doesn't it? 

Not really. It's well known that the BBC English regions don't have HD transmission, rendering BBC1 SD-default in England for the forseeable future.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@adecooper wrote:

OFCOMS rules decree that local versions of BBC & ITV occupy 101 & 103 slots on cable. If an HD version of the local region is not available, which applies to all BBC English regions & the majority of ITV regions, then the SD version must remain where it is.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped