Menu
InteractiveWale
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Contract cancellation / downgrade package

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong board. I have recently come to the end of my Virgin Media contract and as I had previously had a promotion, the price of my contract has significantly increased. I telephoned Virgin Media, however the price which they quoted me was still far more than I could afford to pay, so set the account to cancel. I have since thought about reducing the contents of my package so that I can reduce the overall cost, as currently I am off work awaiting a back operation and so need to reduce my outgoings. 

My question is that if I contact Virgin Media again to cancel my disconnection, and ask them to reduce the contents of my package, would this then count as a new 12/18/24 month contract?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Contract cancellation / downgrade package

Any package change triggers a new 12 month contract

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

InteractiveWale
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Not the answer I was hoping for, however I appreciate your quick response, thank you very much!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Always worth calling “Retentions” on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1-1-4-5 "Thinking of leaving" - they are open 8am until 10pm but calling early between 08.00-11.00 is best, when you will usually get a UK call centre who’s staff are more informed and helpful
Tell them your situation and that you are thinking of cancelling for financial reasons and they will try and sort you a new package to keep to your new cost (as it’s their job to keep customers). As said, it will mean a new contract starts, but if its within your new budget it may be ok - you can always say "no thanks".

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
praxis
Well-informed
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are an existing customer with Virgin and you choose to add or reduce your package it is an automatic new contract for 12 months they will let you change to whatever you want Tv,BB,Phone but they will not give you a special offer if you are then going to leave them after 3 months. As you never stated what your package was it’s hard to point you in the right direction regarding downsizing it. Best advice if you have changed your mind regarding leaving them call back on 150 if you have a VM landline choose options 1 1 4 5 thinking of leaving us. That will get you through to retentions they can talk you through the various package deals available hopefully finding one that suits you financial needs. The open at 8am call as early as possible to cut down on your wait time.

InteractiveWale
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I have already spoken to the retention team and they were not helpful at all. I got the impression that they did not want me to stay, despite this being their role!

I currently have Sky Sports and Movies, 2 x V6 boxes, all tv channels and Talk anytime for the phone and 500mb (broadband (I think), which they have quoted me via retentions at £99. My wife does not want to lose Sky Arts and a few other channels, so there is no option other than to have one of the tv packages with 250+ channels. I am happy to reduce the phone to evening and weekends, and get rid of Sky Sport and Cinema, plus reduce the broadband speed.. When I spoke to retention's, they offered me this package for £84.

Anyway, the package I am interested in is the Limited Edition Bigger bundle + Movies (for new customers) priced at £60 per month (plus I would like to continue with an additional V6 box. This is the price I am happy to pay and the package contents I would like (with the bonus of Sky Cinema). My disconnection is due net week and I cannot see the retention team making another phone call. So I am either stuck paying £20 plus a month more than a new customer or leaving.....

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Your expectation of getting the same price as a new customer is simply unacceptable.

If you want new customer pricing, become a new customer elsewhere.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
InteractiveWale
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, thanks for the unhelpful comment. I was always taught that if you have nothing useful to say then to keep your mouth closed.....

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That is useful, you won't get a new customer deal 

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jermako
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am not VM customer yet but I have always had impression you could've ended your contract after 12/18 months and get a new deal as a new customer.Am I wrong?

0 Kudos