Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Channel added to my account in error

Having looked at my online bill for the first time ever this week I noticed I was paying for a channel (BOXNATION) that I did not sign up for.

Having spoken to customer services today, they believe I subscribed to it back in November 2017 and have been paying for it ever since.

i don’t believe I ever signed up for it.  I cannot find any evidence of any correspondence that was sent confirming the addition.   Customer services claim an email was sent but they cannot resend it.   I have searched my emails thoroughly from around the date it was added and cannot find anything.

They can see from their records that I’ve not watched the channel ever between the Thursday afternoon I allegedly activated it and today when it was cancelled and yet they maintain that I activated the channel via a PIN number on my tv.  There is no one else in the house who knows my PIN number or who has any interest at all in boxing

Has anyone else had experience of something like this?  I know I should’ve checked my online bills once in a while which I clearly haven’t been doing, but it’s cost me the best part of £300 for a channel I have never watched, or wanted!

After 20 fruitless minutes arguing as a gesture of good will Virgin agreed to waive the 30 day cancellation period!

Is the onus on me to prove that I don’t sign up for this channel?

any help or advice gratefully received

cheers

tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Channel added to my account in error

Hi Tomo444, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for getting in touch. 

I am sorry to hear that you were unaware of the channel being active on your account.

There are a few ways that a channel can be added including calling the team and directly through the box. 

Once the channel is added, we would usually send notification of this within a few days and then list the charge on your monthly statement. 

Has the team confirmed that the channel has now been removed? 

Thanks

Nat
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks for getting back to me

There was definitely no confirmation sent.  Of the 10 emails from Virgin Media that I received in November 2017 none of them referenced the addition of a premium channel.  Nor was there any update or amendment to my contract.

it was detailed on the monthly bill, but as I’ve mentioned I wasn’t checking this, and the increase in price coincided with the end of a promotional period and an annual price hike, so I was expecting the cost to go up.  As such, I had no idea that the channel had been added.

The channel has now been removed.  Unlike when the channel was added  I have received both email confirmation and an update to my contract to confirm this.  This makes me even more certain that I never requested this channel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. 

I am glad to hear the channel has now been removed. As it has been active on the account for over two years we would be unable to refund for the charges. 

I appreciate this may not be the answer you were hoping for but as we have provided statements including the channel and this has not been queried the charges would be valid. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. 

Thank you 

Nat
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can I ask what the relevance of it being active for over two years is?

Would I have been more likely to receive a refund if it had been active for a different period of time?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Tomo444

On occasion, customers may accidentally add the channels in error and will contact us to remove it with immediate affect. In these circumstances, we would look into refunding the customer if appropriate. 

However, as this was added over 2 years ago and we have not had any contact from the account holder or any queries about the extra charge on the bill each month for the last 2 years then this would show that it was a channel that was indeed requested and as such no refund would be authorised. 

We do expect our customers to check their bills each month and to contact us if they deem them to be incorrect. From looking at your services, we can see that this channel was added via the Set Top box itself. This is not a simple process and the PIN does need to be inputted a couple of times to confirm the purchase and a screen flash will appear advising of your new package price if you choose to go ahead with the change. 

Any confirmation would have been sent to the email address that we had on file if we had one available. If no email address was listed on the account at that time, then you would not have received one but it would still appear on your bill each month. 

Glad to understand that this has now been removed for you. I am sorry that we could not assist you further. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is it not possible that this was and is an error at Virgin media’s end?

There is no way that this channel was requested from my set top box.  Why would I have gone through the complicated and expensive process of activating a premium channel which you can see from my viewing history I have never ever watched?

No email was sent to me.  I have multiple emails from Virgin both before and after November 2017 so I know that my details were held on the account.  If you are confident one was sent can you please resend it.

Also,, I’m not sure how the fact that I didn’t notice my bill going up is indicative that the channel was indeed requested?  Virgin had emailed me previously to tell me my bill would go up in Nov 17, so when it did why would I challenge it? in any case my Bill is rarely the same month on month, and clearly I don’t scrutinise it.  

The most frustrating thing about all of this is that, despite being a loyal Virgin customer for over 20 years, spending the best part of £150 a month, you are not willing to give me the benefit of the doubt for £300 over something that (whichever side of the fence you sit on) is clearly a mistake.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We're not able to see what channels you have or have not watched @Tomo444 - I am sorry. 

BoxNation is £11 a month on top of your monthly package cost and is listed as a separate add-on via your bills and is also listed on your account as part of your package if checking online. 

When we advised you of your price increase, we will advise how much the increase is for and will also list your package.

As mentioned above, any confirmation would have been sent to the email address that we had on file if we had one available. If no email address was listed on the account at that time, then you would not have received one but it would still appear on your bill each month. We are unable to resend these emails as they are automated once the package change is requested. 

Once again, I am sorry that you are not happy with the resolution we have advised, however, I am glad that we have since removed the channel at your request. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos