Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Channel 4 starts transition to HD only this Thursday

From Thursday 14th March, Channel 4 will become an HD only service on Virgin in its London advertising area. The remaining Channel 4 advertising regions will follow shortly after.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Channel 4 starts transition to HD only this Thursday

That's a shame cos now all my Frasier recordings will take twice the space and have big black bands on the side.  I shouldn't have cleared them down for a bit of extra tivo space.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Black bands? What's that got to do with removing SD.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Some people prefer to see older programmes in “stretchyvision” rather than in the original aspect ratio they were made in, which is the way they have to be shown in HD.

I’m just waiting for the positive response from the “switch off all the SD we don’t need it now” brigade.Smiley LOL

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Some people prefer to see older programmes in “stretchyvision” rather than in the original aspect ratio they were made in, which is the way they have to be shown in HD.

I’m just waiting for the positive response from the “switch off all the SD we don’t need it now” brigade.Smiley LOL

Haven't watched or recorded anything in SD where HD is available for many years

0 Kudos
praxis
Rising star
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

So as not to disappoint switch off all the SD channels now 🙂

TBH it is something that is going to happen sooner rather than later. I personally don’t mind the black boarders but I do understand the comment about double HDD space being used to record shows like Frasier.But hey lets look on the positive side as soon as they start shutting down more SD channels it will give them the opportunity to create +2 channels. So we will have HD maybe HD +1 and +2. Who knows maybe in 25 years the UK will catch up with the rest of the World And 4K will replace HD.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Understood. I've never seen the benefit of filling up my screen when it means losing the original aspect ratio, and I've no problem with letterboxing for films or pillarboxing for 4:3 - though not keen on windowboxing. But each to their own.

--
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@praxis wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

So as not to disappoint switch off all the SD channels now 🙂

TBH it is something that is going to happen sooner rather than later. I personally don’t mind the black boarders but I do understand the comment about double HDD space being used to record shows like Frasier.But hey lets look on the positive side as soon as they start shutting down more SD channels it will give them the opportunity to create +2 channels. So we will have HD maybe HD +1 and +2. Who knows maybe in 25 years the UK will catch up with the rest of the World And 4K will replace HD.

Regarding the black borders (sic) the pain is you cannot adjust the picture ratio with the virgin TiVo signal in the way you could previously with the V+ box so rather than be able to zoom in and get rid of some screen clutter especially in sport, you are stuck with whatever aspect ratio the broadcaster decides on. Ironically on mobile and iPads you can.   Will just record Frasier off Freeview as I suspect that will retain the SD and won't fill up my hard disc.  It's not as if Frasier benefits from HD transmission, looks just as fuzzy as do a number of older US programmes.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Were these older programmes broadcast in 480i60? If so, how many upscalers did the content go through for a 1080p50 TV or, even worse, 2160p50?

--
0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I'm ever so curious how full all of the "HD fills up our disk too fast" brigade's HDD's actually are?

Ok so HD does take up more disk space, but do these users actually have a problem with the space.. are they getting near 90% full? Or just upset because they're at 70% when they'd like to be at 55%, say.

Genuinely curious.