Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ceefax Style Subtitles

I notice you have received a number of posts over the past few years to highlight how poor the ‘Ceefax’ style subtitles on Virgin are compared to the likes of service provided by the BBC iPlayer app and Netflix/Amazon. 
Can you please advise if you would be able to consider an update of your television software to allow less intrusive subtitles on all your provided channels?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ceefax Style Subtitles

Hi Rossil,

the subtitle style might be rectified when Virgin switch over to their new Horizon interface, however there is no confirmed date as to when this will be happening.

They along with other companies offering TV services are working together with Ofcom.

Virgin Media product development 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The subtitling on MPEG encoded linear broadcast channels is standardised across all DVB platforms, so it looks the same on Freeview/Freesat, Sky & Virgin.

With internet platforms broadcasters can develop what they choose with any software they choose. MPEG is a fixed standard as it has to be compatible with everything in the broadcast chain & a plethora of receiving equipment of varying ages.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's unlikely this will be addressed with the v6 TV box as there is a new generation box due next year 

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As I say its standardised across all DVB platforms.

The current standard is from 2017 & is incorporated into all the current MPEG decoder chipsets:

https://dvb.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/a009_dvb_bitmap_subtitles_nov_2017.pdf

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

old beeb style teletextold beeb style teletext

😉

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos