cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling Netflix on Virgin

Cymraes68
Joining in

Hi.  I had a Netflix account but somehow I now have a Netflix account with Virgin, so paying twice.  When I tried to cancel the Virgin one I was told to talk to Netflix.  When I talk to Netflix they only have my original account on record and not the Virgin one so are unable to cancel it.  When I log into Netflix, I can only see my original account.  Last night I spoke to Virgin and Netflix twice each and still have not been able to cancel as both are saying it is down to the other.  Can anyone help?

100 REPLIES 100

Mantelope
On our wavelength

That is truly shocking. There is a major flaw in the virgin media Netflix set up. I think it should be removed from virgin media’s domain. They can’t handle it. Leave it with Netflix directly. 

Qax648
On our wavelength

My guess is that some kind of bug has been introduced on the billing and account management side and I wouldn't be surprised if hundreds or thousands of accounts were hit with the same issue.

I can see no logical link between myself and the person whose account I am accessing. I am in Dorset, they are (I think) in Nottingham. Names are not similar, either of users or profiles. Email addresses are the same domain (GMail) but otherwise totally different.

But somewhere, somehow, it's gotten mixed up and their Netflix credentials are being passed in or out and allowing my cable box to sign in as them.

And of course, I'm sure this has triggered the billing on my account. Who knows how long it'll take to sort it out!

emmadawson
Tuning in

My 82 year old mother is in the same boat, has a standard £5.99 account with Netflix direct that she’s had for several years. I noticed a month ago that she was also paying £11.99 a month to virgin for Netflix. I assumed she’d signed up for it somehow so wrote it off, but called virgin and got it switched off. On 27th March she had an email congratulating her on her new Netflix subscription via virgin, and that she can only cancel it via Netflix. She has spoken to them, and they were lovely to her, but same as you all, there’s nothing they can do.

She gets upset calling virgin as they confuse her, they won’t speak to me about her account unless I call from her phone number, and she lives a couple of hours away so we can't get to her currently. I guess that means I can't do anything until this is all over. But virgin, I will expect you to refund my poor pensioner mum and stop causing her so much distress. 

Qax648
On our wavelength

I can see how this is going to be an uphill battle until it reaches a point where they realise there's a widespread problem and sort it out.

At the moment, we're probably in the "limbo" stage where Virgin staff have been told "Only Netflix can control the billing" and they'll stick to this line as they've been trained to.

Netflix can absolutely control the billing - when and only when it is correct. That is, if you sign up through your VM box and Netflix know who you are and instigate the billing, they can stop it too.

In this instance, Netflix have no idea why we're being billed. They have no record of a sign-up or Netflix account linked to it so they have no means of controlling it. They cannot cancel an account that doesn't exist!

I will try Virgin Media at some point soon. I am reluctant to call them given the current situation though.

Mantelope
On our wavelength

All I can say is it’s a shame Watchdog isn’t currently showing on tv 😳

Qax648
On our wavelength
Hehe yes... I was angered at first and daunted by the thoughts of endlessly being passed between Virgin and Netflix but I've come to realise that a lot of people must be having this issue and it cannot go on for long unacknowledged.

Isn’t strange now the complaints are growing the Forum Team have gone quiet.

The first 3 pages on this tread they had plenty to say. Now there’s not a bleep from any of them. 

Qax648
On our wavelength

Well they could be furloughed!

jbarbosa
Joining in

Just got my billing this month and as I said before on this thread I was aware that I was going to be double charged and I was sure no one would do anything about about it.

I have canceled my netflix account against my desire. let's just hope that next month I am not charged by virgin again even without a netflix subscription, otherwise, that will **bleep** me of.

Also I agree @Gandalf2, it is awfully quite in here. the forum exists for some reason and the mods should at least report this to virgin's IT team and keep us updated on the matter. this "solved" thread is actually not solved and it is growing with complains. wake up.

GoldenBough
Joining in

Hi All

I'm in the same boat. I have an existing account with Netflix that I am charged monthly for and it now appears that Virgin are charging me separately on top of this (and at a higher rate than my existing Netflix account). I have contacted Netflix and they say they can't identify any duplicate account, so have sent me back to Virgin (who, based on the experiences described by others above, are likely to bounce me straight back to Netflix).

I note with interest and concern that some of you have found that you have been wrongly associated with someone else's account and have been able to view that other person's details. This is clearly a data protection concern. If you have experienced this, you might want to consider raising the matter with the Information Commissioner's Office (https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/).