Menu
pudos
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can a virgin tv box work without coaxil?

Hi there,

This is not about my own home or account but is about a family member.

This person has just been discharged from hospital.  They are bed ridden, and this will not change.

They are virgin customers for phone, tv and net.  

After discharge they are in a room downstairs (not where the current virgin box is).

What we are trying to do is get a t.v set up for them to watch - either basic channels or all the virgin ones (mainly sport)in the room they are restricted to.  This house has no independent ariel.

Is there any virgin box -e.g tivo, v6 etc that can run just off wifi or do they all need a co-ax cable from the virgin box stuck outside (not the most technical of terms I know).  If they all need the cable this will be a problem as I understand this cant be done at the moment.

I'm not looking to get something for nothing and can pay extra etc - its really just to get the person some tv to watch (especially football and news) during his difficult times, his condition will not improve so we just want to help him as much as we can.  He is currently paying £120 a month and cant watch the tv.

Thanks for any advice and help

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can a virgin tv box work without coaxil?

Hi all virgins TV boxes must have a coaxial cable for them to work. The only thing you could do is buy a panel ariel which are very good they plug in to a 13amp socket to help boost the signal so at least they can get freeview. Regards Micky 

spgray
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

virgin will come out re-run the cable for £99

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

pudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to you both for your input- much appreciated 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You've not said which TV box your relative has, but I will assume either a TiVo or (ideally) a V6... check here if you're not sure.

They could use the VM "TV Control" app to stream recordings from their box, on a compatible Android or iOS device, anywhere wihin their home if they have WiFi.

Or "TV Go" to watch selected programmes/channels from their TV package on the same device.

As others have said - installing a new coax point to move the box somewhere else will be a non-fault callout at £99, and potentially classed as low-priority if other customers in the area are off-service.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi again, as you said in your original post virgin are not prioritising this kind of thing at the moment but I think this should be considered in the circumstances, perhaps if you explain on the phone or a virgin person may pick this up on here. Regards Micky
pudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you

0 Kudos
pudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

additional tv box - help possible?

Hi,

Just seeing if there had been any changes from Virgin re home installation.

My father in law is bed ridden (now permanent) and in a downstairs room.  They have virgin t.v., sports etc on main t.v. but this cannot be connected to the t.v. in his now bedroom.  When asked before Virgin would not visit to connect a new box due to covid.

Is this still the case?  Would be great for him to be able to watch the football and general t.v.

He is approaching end of life care so just something to enjoy would really help.

I'm not looking at something for nothing as quite happy to pay, or even pay for the kit if we can install it somehow?  In the family we have electricians etc.

Cant get any reply phoning in - any chance of one on here?

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The Covid sitution is still ongoing, and VM are still prioritising home installs based on what is "essential" and what isn't.

Additional box installs are often being classed as non-essential - for as long as the pandemic is ongoing, this is unlikely to change.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
pudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

0 Kudos