Menu
LXC797
Settling in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can I use my TV in a different room to my WiFi box?

Hi there!

i’m v new to setting up TVs and things but basically I’ve set up my WiFi and the router is in the kitchen however ideally the tv and V6 box would be in the living room, but I think the V6 box needs to be connected to the hub for it to work! We also only have one virgin media wall plug! Can anyone help please? 

thanks x

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I use my TV in a different room to my WiFi box?

Both the hub & the V6 must have a coaxial connection to Virgin’s network, so if you only have one socket you will need a manned install & not Self-install. The V6 can use WiFi if there in not too much congestion from neighbours hubs. If the hub is in the next room from the TV you should get away with it.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
LXC797
Settling in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help! So does this mean I need a second socket? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to nodrogd's post, the V6 box needs 2 connections to work:

1: The coax to VM's network for your TV signals.

2: The WiFi or Ethernet to your homehub for internet connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
LXC797
Settling in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, is there anyway I can connect my V6 box to my TV without using the HDMI cable? 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@LXC797 wrote:

Thanks for your help! So does this mean I need a second socket? 

Yes. You need a manned install to put in a second socket & rebalance signal levels.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@LXC797 wrote:

Hi, is there anyway I can connect my V6 box to my TV without using the HDMI cable? 

Nope. HDMI is the only connection available as output is encrypted in such a way that it can only be viewed through a TV & not a device that can copy the output.

0 Kudos
mjkerr
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you are confident you can temporarily run a co-axial cable from the kitchen to the living room (or other room)
Plug the self-install integrated cable for TV, Router and Telephone into this temporary cable 
However, you may find the configuration (signal strength) is insufficient, but as above it is a temporary solution
If it works, then you can replace the temporary cable with a more permanent one

My original installation was a splitter from the wall box to the living room (TV) and office (Router)
Earlier this year I moved the Router back to the living room, with or without the splitter there was no difference
This was a self-install TV package, which included an integrated cable for TV, Router and Telephone 
I have now moved the Router back to the office, and replaced the integrated cable with the original cable

What I have not tested is if I move the TV to the longer wire

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And I would advise against making unauthorised changes to Virgin’s coax network. Many network issues are caused by customers DIY efforts, causing noise & poor services to entire streets.

If you have recently rented the TV box for Virgin, then getting a manned install is free if self-install proves not suitable (as long as you call them within 4 weeks of the new contract coming into force).

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

make sure you save a few £1000's for paying VM for breaking the T&C and for any outages you create
0 Kudos