Menu
markbrooks53
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cable type?

Hi.

I am in the process of refurbishment on my property and want to put some wires in place through some ducting so that I dont have cables pegged on the walls.

I have ducting from the cable point on the footpath into the house where the modem will sit. I am then running additional ducting through to the TV location in another room.

Can I pre wire the ducting and what cable should I put in please? I am happy to spend the money on decent cable to ensure good service, I am not looking for the 'cheapest option' but need to understand the best way forward.

Are you able to advise what standard of wire would be best please?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable type?

I'm guessing you're asking about internal co-ax from your existing termination points to where you (presumably) want to install additional TV boxes.

The best method is to arrange a "non-fault" VM engineer install of this - if you're having extra boxes installed, then it should come as part of the process. In any other scenario (such as a box move) you can specifically request the visit.

You can book this through Virgin C/S by using the faults menu option, and there's a £99 charge for the visit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

you can't buy the cable VM use and they will not use any cable they do not install. DIY modifications shouldnt be done
0 Kudos
markbrooks53
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice.
I am not a Virgin customer at this time but plan to be in the next couple of months. The house is undergoing complete refurbishment and I am laying ducting through the concrete floor before the underfloor heating and subsequent screed is laid. It makes sense to put the cable in now (if I can) before it is all buried.
0 Kudos
markbrooks53
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.
Its significantly more than more than a 'diy modification'. I would have thought purchasing cable to the same standard or better was possible though.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM still pay refuse to use it. More so if they can't see the cable. They have no idea of the quality or of there is any damage in the hidden parts
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Cable services are very prone to interference from "off-air" TV & radio & 4/5G phone services as these use THE SAME frequencies that are used by Virgins services.

For this reason Virgin do not allow any DIY installation of cabling or connectors. The triple screened cable they use is specifically produced for them & their techs will only use what they install themselves. Apart from installing pull ropes to pull the engineer provided cables you don't have a lot of options.

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
markbrooks53
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this. I had thought this may be the best way forward.

0 Kudos
markbrooks53
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this, I will follow the advice of another and put some pull ropes through which will hopefully be sufficient.
0 Kudos