Menu
Willowwomble
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cable query

I have a TiVo connected at the back of my house, the connector box for my internet etc comes in at the front. I want to put a new box in my front room eventually but for now as I’m having new carpet I want to put the cable down ready under the carpet ready. I contacted virgin who told me I had to pay £99 for an engineer to come out. Is there anyway I can get the cable from the high street to lay it ready for when we decide to connect. If so what type do I need and will it give a good picture. Thanks

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable query

No there is not. That coaxial cable is not your property. It is part of the VM network and only VM can alter or amend it. If you try to do you will be in breach of contract. You risk having all your services disconnected or at a minimum being charged for compensation to your neighbours on the same part of the network because you allow electrical noise to enter the circuits. You'd certainly be charged personally for putting it right. And that would be well north of £99.

And at the moment VM will not carry out this discretionary work to avoid additional exposure of their techs and you to virus risks.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The short answer is no.

Virgin use particular grades of coax cable on their network, and only VM techs should be installing and amending that cabling.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Willowwomble
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying. I’m not touching what is there at the moment. All I want to do is lay a new cable under a new carpet so when I get a second box and VM supply it, the cable is there and it can be connected.

0 Kudos
Willowwomble
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks for that. So I have to pay VM £99 to deliver a cable for future use.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Howard's point about coax cable forming part of VM's network is pertinent here - it's not "your" cabling to install or amend. Also you will have an internal splitter connector where the incoming coax is split into separate feeds for your TV boxes, broadband etc. So you can't install any new cable without touching the existing equipment.

Yes, this will cost you £99 however you do it. Either the install/activation fee for a new TV box, or a non-fault engineer callout.