Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Breaks in sound

We just changed our TV. With the new set, we keep getting annoying breaks in the sound. I'm talking about extremely short breaks, a fraction of a second, only just long enough to be audible. This didn't happen with our old set but despite the fact that the TV is the only component that's changed, I still suspect the Tivo (V6) for the following reasons:

1. We have tried two different TV sets (the first one had to be changed for an unrelated reason). It was the same with both.

2. The problem only affects Tivo. Other signal sources are unaffected and it makes no difference which HDMI port the Tivo is connected to. 

3. The problem seems worse on some channels than others. BT Sport UHD is by far the worst.

4. Perhaps most interestingly, on the BT channel it's only the programmes that are affected. The commercial breaks don't seem to suffer from the problem.

5. I have read elsewhere of similar problems reported with Tivo.

I have tried experimenting with different Tivo sound formats (as suggested in another thread) but it seems to make no difference whether I select Dolby or Dolby PCM.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Any suggestions what to try next?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Breaks in sound

Just for clarity, are the two TV's you have tested both the same make - e.g. Samsung's, LG's ? If so it could be that they have the same firmware install and this has an incompatibility issue with the V6 (not Tivo). My new Samsung did have a sound drop problem (very common on cable tv boxes worldwide - apparently) that was only fixed when Samsung UK support (over the internet) "rewrote some HDMI EDID script" on the firmware of the TV.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I should have been clearer. They were both Samsung. My old TV (an earlier Samsung model) didn't have the problem. 

So the solution is to contact Samsung support and ask for an over-the-air firmware upgrade?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Writerman wrote:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. They were both Samsung. My old TV (an earlier Samsung model) didn't have the problem. 

So the solution is to contact Samsung support and ask for an over-the-air firmware upgrade?

Not necessarily - try the first part of this info first and see if someone with your model of TV has had similar problems that were solved.

When I had my "sound cut out" problem on my new Samsung TV (not a 4K) in the summer, my first thought was to VM to get the V6 fixed.  Which didn't fix anything - so I went onto the Samsung forums (UK/Euro, US) where there are literally dozens of posts from people experiencing all sorts of sound and picture issues with their new TV's connecting to their favourite cable TV "box".   Long story short...  I contacted Samsung UK support who said “one of our representatives can remotely access your TV to perform the HDMI EDID rewriting before establishing the connection with the V6 box and the other HDMI-supported external devices”.  Problem solved for me

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Bumping this as it’s the same now even at the end of 2019. I have a Panasonic but I don’t use TV audio anyway. I’m using a Yamaha 5.1 system with optical out of the V6 crap.

0 Kudos