Menu
freefalling
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Basic/freeview TV?

Hi all, I only just joined here to ask some advice on behalf of my mother-in-law who is elderly and can sometimes struggle to get what she wants from providers.

She was on a bundle TV, superfast broadband and landline for £80+ a month. It turns out she doesn't need such fast internet, she only watches BBC, ITV, C4 and 5, all free to air channels. So she was offered another bundle today which will cost £62 for the "fun mix" - 111 channels.

Is there a free-to-air option on Virgin (I am not a VM customer so I don't know, I only use freesat where I live) which would reduce her costs? I know she likes to record her programs and watch later, but that seems an expensive way to record freeview channels. She forwarded me the following this morning, I am not sure what these amounts mean and I am pretty sure she doesn't either as she asked me to have a look. Any ideas? Thanks!

Your next bill will be £86.95 and will be created as normal on 6th September 2020
The following bill will be £27.90 and include all credits and adjustments based on when the changes took effect, this is due 7th October 2020
Your new monthly bundle cost thereafter is: £62.00.
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Basic/freeview TV?

Hello

VM do not have a free to air package as all channels using the VM TV boxes are paid for.

The reason her bill is dropped is that when you downgrade a package you will get a reduction off the next bill if going to a cheaper package, if the bill has already been produced then it will be off the following one.

These are the only TV packages that VM do https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tips-and-tricks/virgin-tv-channel-guide and what channels she will get. Alternatively you can purchase a freeview box that has a recorder built in, as long as she has a TV ariel.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

freefalling
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike that's what I thought. But I wanted to check. When I left Sky, they didn't want the box back. I did tell her that it would be cheaper for her to get a hd recorder (humax type thing like we have) but I am not sure she still has her aerial. Ours is hooked up to our satellite dish.

So if she went to BB/Phone only, she would have to give the box back, correct?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yes the box would have to be returned as the box is only rented for the length of the contract. VM will supply the returns label and all you would need to do is drop it off at a collect plus outlet.

Regards

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi freefalling,

Depending on the area your mother in law lives in, then an indoor aerial might have a good enough signal to receive the freeview channels, if she no longer has an outdoor aerial. 

If going the freeview route it might be worthwhile looking in somewhere like Argos/Curry's  for a freeview box with freeview play, which doesn't have the recording facility but the catch up services may be suitable for her needs.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi freefalling,

Thanks for your post and reaching out to the community forums. £62 would be the cost of the bundle that includes more than one service plus equipment. @newapollo advice maybe better if perhaps your mother-in-law is only interested in landline and broadband. Or maybe have a look at our building your own bundle feature that way your mother-in-law is getting the best value for money, https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles

The billing information your post would appear to be the first bill after the bundle change was made which means that it will show from the date of the bundle change to the end of the billing cycle for that statement period + the upcoming month. All bills after that will be at the rate stated for the new bundle. You can see billing information in greater detail by registering online to get a full view of what's happening on the account here virg.in/myVM

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Indoor antennas can cause so many issues & most are not worth the money you pay for them, so I would make sure if you do purchase one that you can return it if it doesn’t work.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
cheekyangus
Superfast
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The quoted "The next bill..." section you put at the bottom of your post uses wording that suggests your mother took up the offer. If that is the case then she'll have started a new contract on that cheaper price already.

0 Kudos
freefalling
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cheekyangus, I am pretty sure that she would still have 14 days to cancel that new contract under the consumers rights act.

Thanks all for all your helpful input, I will take it on board and have a word with her.

0 Kudos
cheekyangus
Superfast
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I was just saying that's what it read like, I wasn't saying she didn't have the option to cancel within a certain time frame if it was true she'd already accepted the offer.

0 Kudos