Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

BT Sport Extra in HD?

With loads of premership rugby on BT Sport Extra this weekend, how do we get these channels in HD?. Whenever I have used the red button for the champions league it only comes up in SD. So come on Virgin get us the HD version.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT Sport Extra in HD?

You don't, these aren't HD streams. It also means they're non-recordable.

This is a problem with sports not being on HD-capable linear broadcast channels, and affect BT Sport customers on platforms.

And in defence of BT Sport here, the decision to televise all Premiership games was only announced last weekend.. and I don't think there's enough spare channels to fit them in, even if they wanted to.

I'm not even sure there's a highlights show on Saturday night, when I last checked.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Come on Japtits, how can you defend BT and Virgin not giving us the HD feeds in this day and age?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@martymart wrote:

Come on Japtits, how can you defend BT and Virgin not giving us the HD feeds in this day and age?

How do you know BT (the broadcaster) are making any available?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

"How do you know BT (the broadcaster) are making any available?"

As a fellow Bather, I was looking at this,

Saturday 21 November Bath v Newcastle Falcons -12.30pm BT Sport Extra 2 HD, BT Sport app and BTSport.com

From https://www.bt.com/sport/rugby-union/premiership-rugby/gallagher-premiership-rugby-round-1-match-pre...

All I can say is that we all need to give Virgin a push to get these games in HD.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough, so I've done a bit of digging.

BT TV customers get these extra streams in HD, as do users of the BT Sport app.

Sky & Virgin carry them in SD.

Which makes me suspect it'll be written into the carriage agreement. I'm certainly having to rack my memory for any occasion when VM have carried red-button streams in HD.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

BT are happy to carry the Extra channels in HD on their own network. As they use IPTV distribution on their boxes, they can create channels & take them off as they wish at very little cost. Linear broadcast channels, particularly HD ones are expensive.

To be available on Sky they would have to pay the Satellite operator for additional high bitrate transponder space, which comes at a premium. The same goes for providing additional feeds to Virgin.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Nice of you do make excuses for BT. I want better service not excuses.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@martymart wrote:
Nice of you do make excuses for BT. I want better service not excuses.

Make excuses for BT !. BT is a business. If they offer something that other providers don't they get more direct subscibers & more profits.

As usual this is a platform provider that is also owns the channels. If you want all the mod-cons you have to switch to BT. You don't get Sky Atlantic unless you switch to Sky or buy their Now TV product. This has always been the case. All TV platforms have to compete with eachother. It is actually OFCOM & Government policy

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you want all the mod-cons you have to switch to BT.

Excuses! and now selling BT!😎

If we don't moan about it Virgin won't change it.

0 Kudos