Menu
pierojump
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Avoid virgin box

Hello everyone,

I moved in a new house where I just have VM box in the wall instead of a normal coax plug. I box the proper cable but I'm not interested to use VM. Can I avoid to use and watch the standard free channel?

Thanks for help

0 Kudos
Kippies
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Avoid virgin box

No

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
pierojump
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So, how can I use my TV without VM? Do I have to call someone to remove this device from the wall? 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@pierojump wrote:

So, how can I use my TV without VM? Do I have to call someone to remove this device from the wall? 

Yes, you can use your TV without VM, but not using their cable. There are no free channels on VM. You will need to either install a Freeview TV Aerial or have a Satellite dish installed. Satellite reception will require a seperate box which plugs into the TV.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
pierojump
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is It anything that I can do on my own or I need to call a technician and buy something? 

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

what you are asking has nothing to do with VM. you can't use that cable so forget its even there.

You will need to do one of 2 things.

1) if you want to pay for sky TV call them and have them install a dish.
2) call a local tv company to install a tv aerial for your TV to use.

You can't use the VM cable or remove it. You'll need another connection for other services
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
what you are asking has nothing to do with VM. you can't use that cable so forget its even there.

You will need to do one of 2 things.

1) if you want to pay for sky TV call them and have them install a dish.
2) call a local tv company to install a tv aerial for your TV to use.

You can't use the VM cable or remove it. You'll need another connection for other services

And if you want Satellite but don’t want to pay Sky, then there is Freesat. You buy the box outright & a local aerial installer can install the dish for around £100. If you go for option 2 above all TVs now have Freeview built in, but you will still need a rooftop aerial which will again cost around £100.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
pierojump
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the answer. I guess that the best way it is to ask to my landlord to install normal aerial antenna to use the freeview built in. 

pdfbt40
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Any physical installation would require Landlord's permission, and you'd have to pay, but leave it behind!

Depending on how close you are to local Freeview transmitter and the walls you may get enough of a signal from an indoor ariel from someone like Argos.

If you're subscribed to broadband then you also have the option of various streaming boxes like Now TV, but nothing is free.  Don't forget your TV Licence is needed for any TV programmes however delivered.

pdfbt40
0 Kudos