Menu
Geoffgil
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Aspect Ratio now another channel

Over the last couple of months the aspect ratio is showing programmes in zoom mode, most notable on the SD channels ITV3, ITV4 and now most recently on the Drama channel , and any channel that is showing vintage 4:3 programmes. ACCEPT Talking Pictures TV which always show 4:3 correct. I have checked with the respective channels on Freeview and they are showing it in the correct ratio. This was done by switching the TV input to do a correct comparison.

I got in touch with Channel 4 and told them while watching "Frasier" on the 7/24 channel SD channel there was a problem, but on the 7/24 HD channel it was ok. As far a Channel 4 was concerned they were broadcasting it in the correct Ratio and there should be no problem, so it must be Virgin Media TIVO system.]

As has been said by other members channel in HD do not have a problem, It is most annoying to have chopped off heads, and half the credits missing.

I see from other posts that I am not the only one, and seems to be affecting more and more channels that show 4:3

Geoff

P.S. I have noticed also that Forces TV which also shows a lot of 4:3 content does not have a problem

0 Kudos
buffalo2102
Joining in
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Aspect Ratio now another channel

Hi Geoff

Those channels look fine to me.  Please check the settings in your set-top box;

Menu --> Help & Settings --> Settings --> Video Output --> Aspect Correction Mode.  This should be set to "panel" if you want to view the channels in their original 4:3 aspect ratio.

Talking Pictures and Forces TV always look fine because they are always broadcast in 16:9 ratio - it seems that the broadcaster adds their own black bars when 4:3 programming is on.

I hope this helps

Tony

0 Kudos
Geoffgil
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I should have mentioned in my previous post that I had already checked the settings and most definitely on PANEL setting. Now this is a new TiVo box (had for 2 months) replacing a older one (which also had the same problem) So not the box but something else. If you change the setting to either of the other two. Nothing happens to the display. But I know a year ago or so if you did this it would switch from panel to full screen and back to panel. So it has got to be the signal I am receiving from Virgin or the software.

Geoff

0 Kudos
buffalo2102
Joining in
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

OK.

I can replicate your issues by changing my box from Panel to Full Screen or Zoom but everything is fine when set to panel.  That demonstrates that it isn't an issue with the signal.  How about your TV settings, have you played with those?  Apologies if you have, I'm just trying to understand.

If you can't get things right then I would suspect the box, even though you've already had it swapped.

0 Kudos
Geoffgil
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I see from another posted topic this was a problem somebody had reported last September and Virgin was unable to pin the fault down. How long is it going to take. I suppose it is not High Priority. What ever it is, is getting worse affecting more channel that broadcast in 4:3.

Geoff

0 Kudos
Geoffgil
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi 
nothing changes when I go from full screen to zoom to panel. Is as if the panel option is not working. I have checked TV settings and that is ok. If I go to my humax HD freeview box I have no problems (am using the same TV).
As the poster said last October (Drumbeat I believe)  It appears the ITV +1 channels are ok. So it must be a software problem at Virgin's end or their playout system.

0 Kudos
buffalo2102
Joining in
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Well, I can say that it's not the playout system or it would affect everyone and wouldn't work for me either.

I'm not sure i can help any further so I'll leave it for the support people to pick this up.

0 Kudos
Geoffgil
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

hi buffalo2102

Thanks for trying

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi I strongly suspect its the aspect setting on your TV. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Geoffgil
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

HI LittleMick73

If that is the case, how is that my Humax HD DTR Freeview box that is just plugged into another HDMI port does not have a problem. Is it possible that the HDMI cable that is used by TIVO is faulty?

0 Kudos