Menu
Juventino
Up to speed
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Apple TV+

Does anyone know if Virgin are in talks with Apple to carry an Apple TV+ app on the V6 box?

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Apple TV+

There hasn't been any statement to say that it's being looked at.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Juventino
Up to speed
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

That's a shame, I received a one year free subscription to Apple TV+ for buying a new iPhone. My TV doesn't have the app or Airplay 2. I won't be giving Apple more money by buying their little box. Can't watch TV on the phone or iPad, not as a family, so it is almost a waste having the free subscription, It won't be worth renewing it once the free period is up. Its a shame.

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

There are some options described here:

https://9to5google.com/2019/11/04/how-to-watch-apple-tv-chromecast-android-tv/

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Juventino
Up to speed
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie_C, Thank you for your reply. I have tried some of those methods, the 3rd party apps are poor I'm afraid it wasn't a good experience. I have 2 Firesticks, unfortunately they are not new and so the Apple app is not available on them, they work for everything else plus I have the Prime app on the TV as well, which is different to the Firestick and also does not give me access to Apple TV, so I won't be buying more of them, I am thwarted at every turn it seems, I tried linking the laptop to the TV, this did work but trailing cables across the living room made me somewhat less than popular plus controlling everything from the laptop is annoying! Apple don't play nice at the best of times, they seem under the impression that its a privilege to use their products when often its just a pain. It is not a big deal, Apple TV+ for the moment is not that good a service and certainly not worth paying for (for me anyway), but it would have been good to use it while the subscription was free. Thanks again.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

None of the pay TV platform providers carry the Apple TV+ app. This is either because Apple want it to remain exclusive to the internet based platform, or because there are rights issues that conflict with content of existing broadcasters that Virgin carries.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Juventino
Up to speed
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

That makes sense and is not surprising. Apple are pretty aloof as companies go I am not a fan even though I have an iPhone, it is a company phone so it doesn't cost me anything, if I were paying for it it may be a different story.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It's ridiculously easy to get Apple TV+, I can download it onto my Fire TV stick I bought in 2018. It's also available on any Roku device (the Roku Express HD costs £29.99, the Roku Premiere HD £39.99).

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Juventino
Up to speed
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger, thanks for the reply. I have tried to download them onto the Firesticks, ours are older than that unfortunately but I have tried...I will try again though. The thing is we have Firesticks for Prime, we also have Netflix, I have no interest in the Disney app, Disney+ I think its called, although I can get that on the TV I think. I can't justify buying yet another streaming stick even if it is only around £30 or £40 just for the Apple app, and their own box is stupidly priced so I won't buy that anyway. The best option seemed to be if Virgin had plans for the app on their box or Apple release an Android TV app we can all use, but that seems unlikely reading some of the replies received. It is a shame given I have the free subscription, ultimately it will be Apple who lose if nothing changes by the time the subscription ends. Thanks again for the reply.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The new Fire TV Stick Lite costs £29.99, think of it as an upgrade to an old stick rather than just a means of getting ATV+.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos