Menu
Greeneell
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Any advice appreciated re parents.

I have a question actually regarding my parents; Dad is 94 and registered blind and deaf and Mum is 93. They have a contract with  VM for TV and landline. Dad cannot see the TV and they are unable to use the remote to utilise the service in any way it is intended - they literally watch only four channels: BBC1,2, ITV and something called drama which shows old British stuff like All creatures great and small, Morse etc.

They are paying £35/month for this and their landline,with call charges on top and they barely use the telephone to make outgoing calls but it is vital for them for incoming calls. Judging by the packages currently on offer this isn’t really a very good deal for vulnerable people who cannot use the service.  This really came to my attention because I bought a bigger free view TV which I had hope Dad might be able to see which I connected up via their external arial.  This situation has been going on for a few years now and I would be just be interested and grateful for any comments or suggestions.. Thank you. John

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Any advice appreciated re parents.

I would suggest going freeview for TV and perhaps a cheaper landline provider like the post office

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Before you make any decision on what TV service is suitable for your parents I would contact the RNIB and ask their advice on accessibility and TV issues for people with vision issues. All the channels that your parents needs are on Freeview.

The landline service is more difficult. By 2025 all telcos will have abandoned the traditional landline for provision via the internet for which a home internet service will be required, even if only for the phone.

VM will now offer just a landline for your parents. Their TV service is not particularly easy for people like your father to use. But they do offer a high contrast remote control of the same size as the standard control but it uses black numbers on white keys. Would that help?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Greeneell
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for responding.

0 Kudos
Greeneell
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Howard much appreciated. Given their health status Mum and Dad won’t see 2025 (not being flippant that is just a sad fact). Really a grateful to you for your input. I think I will try and negotiate a landline only agreement with VM on their behalf, the TV part is of less than zero value.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I need to amplify. The transition to broadband based phone lines is being phased in up to 2025. Depending on where they live your parents might be caught up in that sooner than you think. We don't have details of the roll-out plan. I also have a VM landline and might be affected too.

I hope your parents live a long while yet!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Greeneell
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Howard, Dad has metastatic prostate cancer, Mum CHF but they are still living together in own home and managing as best they can with lots of support. 68 anniversary next week.

They are perhaps not the typical example of queries that you get here. I just want to get their VM contract cancelled without penalty and also seek compensation from VM for miss selling a product plus their inability to be contacted by telephone.

best wishes, John

0 Kudos