Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Amazon Prime - fluctuating picture quality

I've only just moved to Virgin M100 Broadband. I've now been active for 3 days and my speed has been consistent around 100 mbps and all services appear to be fine.  There is just one issue i have which is really starting to bug me... Amazon Prime streams.

I was with EE before (for approx 18 months) and I never had this problem once. To my HD TV via HDMI, I use a Youview box to access Amazon Prime. My connection now (like before) is via ethernet cable direct to the hub.  I have rebooted all devices a number of times and it makes no difference. My connections are good (i've swapped known good cables and they give the same result). There is no setting on the Youview box (or the associated Amazon App) to change quality preference, and I never needed this anyway before when with EE.

It appears that there is some sort of adaptive streaming/throttling going on between Amazon and Virgin.

The picture quality fluctuates between what looks like HD and really bad pixelated VHS.  This happens consistently every 30 seconds or so and is present on multiple programmes i've tried.  It's becoming unusable and may be a deal breaker for me whilst i'm in the cooling off period as we watch a lot of Amazon Prime.

Other streaming services via the Youview box - iPlayer, ITV Hub etc - have all been consistently high quality.

Any ideas why Amazon Prime is now so bad? The only physical change in my setup is unplugging my ethernet cable from an EE Hub to the new Virgin Hub.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon Prime - fluctuating picture quality

Hi Banski,

Did you change the resolution down then back again ?
Googling the issue on Chrome shows some people had issues with Amazon Prime buffering on their Youview box and changed from 720 to 1080p which cured it.

Does Amazon buffer on any other devices?
If it's only the TV Box, can you try a Youview Maintenance Reset (Option 2: Keep Recordings). This will set the box back up and re-download the App in case of any issues with the app itself.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi newappllo,

Thanks for taking time to reply.

The Youview box was already set to 1080p but I forced it to 720p, rebooted it and then set it to 1080p again. This made no difference. I rebooted the unit again just in case this was required and it came back up as 1080p and again made no difference.

I don’t see the same Playback issue when I use the Amazon Prime app on my iPhone or iPad.

I’ve done a YouView Factory reset via YouView Maintenance mode and this has made no difference either. I am running the latest software versions for both YouView and it’s Amazon App.

The Cat5 Ethernet cable from hub to YouView box is good, as is the HDMI cable from Youview box to TV. There are no funny picture modes on my TV either, nothing has changed here.

i’ve rebooted the Virgin hub again first, let it reboot and then turned on the YouView box. All other services and displays are as expected but again Amazon playback is poor.

My YouView box just doesn’t like the Amazon Stream being offered via my new Virgin hub. There doesn’t appear to be much more I can do?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I think I’ve fixed this by physically moving my Virgin Hub. It looks like the issue was being caused by mains hum/interference. The hub was physically close to power leads and a wall socket, once I moved it out of this location Amazon has remained stable. Why it only affected Amazon I’ll never now. The hub is now on the back of a tv stand rather than the floor and after doing a few tests I haven’t seen the cycle of quality drops.

0 Kudos