Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Amazon Prime / On-Demand Black Screen

I have a post here too regarding an ongoing internet connection issue:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Network-Cable-Disconnects-and-Reconnects/... 

I now have a TV issue too! Not a lot going right these days. I have copied the text from my most recent message on the Broadband Forum below:

So the internet appears to have behaved for the last few days.

However, now I have no On-Demand or Amazon Prime services. I can load the Amazon Prime channel but all options result in a black screen (no sound). I can also search for and find on-demand content but when selected the screen goes black (sound remains).

Why can't all services just work at once. I pay nearly £90 a month for this having just 'upgraded' following a cold call from Virgin. I agreed to upgrade as there is some form of discount for the Sky Sports package which I am interested in (was told I would get all the Sky Sports channels but in fact ended up with only SD versions which are horrible to watch - I'm not sure this was made particularly clear which is a bit cheeky)*.  

Can anyone please advise as to what might have happened with my Amazon Prime / On-Demand as following my 'upgrade' I am far from impressed so far! Luckily I still have a week and a bit to cancel the 'upgrade' and revert back to what I had previously which I am seriously considering. 

I have tried changing some of the output resolutions away from 2160p to 1080p for example and it makes no difference. I have also tried changing the HDMI cables into different HDMI ports. I have rebooted the hub. I have tried Amazon Prime on other devices in the house and it works fine. 

* The Amazon Prime and On-Demand problem appears to have been since the 'upgrade' was made. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon Prime / On-Demand Black Screen

The black screen issue does sound suspiciously like the HDCP compatibility issue, whereby all the equipment in your chain now has to support HDCP 2.2 if you want 2160p output on a 4K UHD TV.

What is the exact make & model of your TV? And do you have any other equipment in the chain - a soundbar or A/V amp, for example?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

All the equipment worked a few days ago. I have a Samsung 4K TV (can find make and model) which is a year old. No additional equipment attached apart from my XBox One. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many Samsung TVs, if they have limited support for HDCP 2.2, have it on the HDMI port marked "MHL"

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Couldn't get any joy with the ports.

But I did reboot the Tivo Box and this cleared the problem. Amazon and Catchup all working fine now - Hurray!! Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi traffield,

It's good to see your problem seems to have resolved itself following a reboot.

Did you actually change the HDMI port to the one marked "MHL" because that should solve any future issues? When changing ports you generally find you need to reboot the equipment the change to be recognised.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos